Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft SQL Server 2008

Microsoft SQL Server 2008

I have two items shown in Start > Programs.  These items are Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2.  I believe that these items were installed with ACT.  I have uninstalled ACT from my machine and wonder if these SQL items are safe to remove?

Thank you for any advice.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Microsoft SQL Server 2008

ACT! 2011 would have installed SQL Server 2008 R2 if it was not already present before the installation.  If there are no other programs using SQL Server 2008 R2, you can remove it from the computer.  One way to check for other applications using the SQL program is to look at the Services list.  To do this:

- click on Windows Start button

- on XP > select Run

- on Vista/Windows 7 > use the Search field

- enter the command 'Services.msc'

- on the Services screen > scroll down to locate any items prefixed with 'SQL Server (#####)'. 

You may still see 'SQL Server (ACT7)'.  If there are no others listed, you most likely do not have any other applications using SQL. 

Greg Martin
Sage

Here is what I find under Services.msc.  All of these are prefixed with SQL Server.  I have used several ACT versions through the years, the latest being ACT2011.  I did have ACT 7 and 2000 and one point in time.

...(ACT7)

...(MSSMLBIZ)

...Active Directory Helper

...Agent (ACT7)

...Browser

...VSS Writer

I'm pretty certain (not 100% though) that the SQL Server was added when some version of ACT was installed and is not used by any other program.

Platinum Super Contributor

The item 'SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ)' shows that you have Office Small Business BCM (Business Contact Manager) installed and that it is using SQL.  Removing SQL would break that program.  The other items are for ACT! (2 items - ACT7) and basic components of the SQL installation.

Greg Martin
Sage