Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4 (KB2463332)

Copper Contributor

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4 (KB2463332)

Here we go again.  Just got this update in this weeks batch and I can't install it.   Even when I download the exe file from the Microsoft site it installs, but then Act doesn't work.  I'm using WinXP, ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 3

So is this going to be another 6 months before a fix is discovered?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 4 (KB2463332)

When you say "ACT! doesn't work", it might help if you can provide some more details....

How does it not work?
Do you get an error (if so, what)?
Is there any error in the Windows Event logs?
Copper Contributor

The error I get is that Act can't open database.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Mike, but I really didn't check the services after I got the error. I'm not that technically advanced. I do expect that when I get Microsoft updates, they install correctly and without error as 99.9% of them have in the past. The only other problem I've ever had is the last SQL update which, caused a problem with ACT and then we had to wait months for a proper patch.

After I got the error, I wasted no time in restoring my sytem image as I had lots of work to get done and didn't have time to fiddle with finding the cause. That's why I posted on this forum. No doubt there will be others experiencing the same problem so I'll just wait for a solution to be posted and wont' bother with that particular update.

With the older versions of ACT!, the SQL updates needed to be tested by Sage and rolled out with an update if they were necessary

Hello Everyone,

This is my first timing posting to this forum.

I too am running Act on several XP workstations and one 2003 server. My past experience has been that when SQL server releases a service pack, the vendor has to release a software update to include the service pack. Act is one of several vendors that we use and this is the normal procedure in all cases.

Since I am also responsible for patch management within our organization, I have to be ware of all patches and service packs and I try to install them as quickly as possible.

I hope that Act will post a software update to address this issue soon.

I will check this forum every few days and keep my fingers crossed.

There is also a question as to how far back they continue to support with updates - especially for those of a non-security related need.

You might see this post of how they decide which fixes to add:
http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2011/01/how-are-product-management-decisions.html

When asking for fixes or features, it's useful to put it in a way that helps them with the business case

I have a similar problem.  Running Act! v12 Hotfix 4 on SBS2008

Yesterday, SBS needed to run a 'critical' update   - turned out to be SQL Express Update SP4

SBS updated all  7 workstations OK but says that the Server Update has failed, I've tried re-running this several times, as well as downloading the update & running locally - still no joy

This has completely stopped any access to Act! from anywhere, even directly from the server

which is strange as during the 'update' it states that 'the edition of the product instance(for Act7) does not qualify for update' - and therefore I wouldn't have expected the Act7 SQL to have been changed at all?

On all machines I'm logged on as Administrator & can see the PAD files

- we get a variety of Act! messages which I think are red herrings     - 'you do not have permission', 'can't find pad file', can't find the server (which is rubbish as you can see and access all files), 'log on as Administrator', etc, etc

I also looked for a roll-back but I'm told that this update doesn't qualify

What I did find this morming, was that the Act Services was 'stopped', tried starting, but it simply fails, time & again

When I now look at , or try to start, SQL Services Act7, I get      Error 1069 - Service did not start due to logon failure 

Has anyone any ideas ??

I have the same problem, SQL SP4 2005 won't install on our server either.

However i have another annoying error where every single morning none of the sales guy can connect to act and i restart the ACT SQL service and everything is ok again!