Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706) Failure

Tuned Listener

Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706) Failure

All,

The SP2 update for SQL Sever 2005 installed for us with no problems at doing the install at shutdown.

This latest one which appear yesterday via Windows updates has failed to install at shutdown.

Here is what Windows update shows for the failure.

Error Code: 0x2B2F Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following resources.

Does not work directly from Windows update either.

No longer prompting for install at shutdown.

Has anyone else had problems with this latest update?

Regards,

Ken

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706) Failure

[ Edited ]

This update has not been qualified with ACT! at this time.  We hope to have a knowledgebase article for applying the update in the next few weeks. 

ACT! will continue to work normally without this update for the time being.

thanks

Message Edited by MMcFadden on 01-29-2009 07:12 AM
Matthew McFadden
Nickel Elite Contributor

I will also point out that when delivered, the ACT! solution will resolve the other Security related update failure that many people encountered and posted under a different thread.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Tuned Listener

This update from MicroScrewup would not install correctly on my Vista Business laptop.  I have found no way to remove it from the history list, uninstall, fix the install or anything else of interest.  After doing the failed install, ACT! 10 would no longer open database files.  I rolled back the OS using a restore point, which then proceded to tell me that the restore failed and no files had been changed. However, ACT! is now working.
Nickel Elite Contributor

To all,

Do not bother to apply this Microsoft SQL Server Express Service Pack 3 release for the time being, as it will not apply successfully.  As I stated, we will be offerring a KB article that includes the method in which to update your software properly with this release.

Your ACT! Product will continue to work without this update.

thanks

Matthew McFadden
Tuned Listener

How is Sage planning on informing customers when a knowledge base article regarding how to install the service packs for SQL is available?

Regards,

Ken

I will update this thread if there is a KB article released for this issue.

MMcFadden,

Hello. I have accidentally installed Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 3.  I have ACT 2008 (10.0), and it has likely not been updated for 10.0.1 or later.  I am overcautious on updates to ACT and related, because I have experienced significant ACT issues on more than one occasion, and I was advised by ACT technical support tier 2 not to do the ACT updates to minimize risk of ACT issues. 

Can you help me understand... Based on the above as well as your expertise... Is there a risk of a problem with SQL Service Pack 3 being on my cmoputer with the version of ACT I have that is mentioned above?  If so, how to uninstall SP3, as I can't seem to find the way to do so since SP3 doesn't seem to be a seperate option in my 'Add/Remove Programs' menu.  Alternatively, would it be most advisable to do a system restore to the point right before the SP3 update (not ideal b/c I have made a number of system changes after this point and would have to re-invest the time to re-do them, but FAR preferable to do the restore if there is any risk to my system without doing this).

Anything you can do to reply ASAP over the weekend would be VERY much appreciated.  I am trying to hold off in even opening my ACT application until I hear from you, and yet have a HUGE need to work on ACT in the morning (Sunday 2/15).

Please be as specific as you can be in your reply, including language for a non-techie.  If ANY way to talk additionally in the morning, that would be absolutely fantastic.

Thank you so very much.

Nickel Elite Contributor

You should be fine, we are expecting to release the update utility for SQL Express 2005 Service Pack 3 very soon, so you are just a bit ahead of the game.

How were you able to apply this, if I may ask?  From Start|Run, launch ActDiag, and post the version of SQL returned.  The number should be something like 9.0.XXXX

thanks.

Matthew McFadden

Hi Matthew,

Thank you so very much for the reply.  Has the SP been tested?  Are you sure it will not cause any issues?  My data is very important to me and my company, and I can't risk anything if not testing wasn't passed successfully.  Can you kindly reply early morning, and if there's a way we can talk for 2 minutes, I would be so very much appreciative. I can also fill you in on how the update worked as you asked.

Thanks so much,

BG