Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException

Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException

I get this error when Windows 7 starts. Act! will not start with the same error. My last backup is about a month old. I would like to fix this without losing the current state of the database.

Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Attempting to deserialize an empty stream.
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName) (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildFailedException: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Attempting to deserialize an empty stream.
   at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.BinaryFormatter.Deserialize(Stream serializationStream, HeaderHandler handler, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName) (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> System.Exception: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Attempting to deserialize an empty stream.
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName)
   at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.get_CustomCommandHandlers()
   at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.RestoreImagesToCollection()
   at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.LoadDisconnectedMenuToolBar()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeExplorer()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeApplication()
   at Act.UI.ActApplication..ctor(IUnityContainer container, IEventAggregator eventAggregator)
   at BuildUp_Act.UI.ActApplication(IBuilderContext )
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.StrategyChain.ExecuteBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)
   at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.Builder.BuildUp(IReadWriteLocator locator, ILifetimeContainer lifetime, IPolicyList policies, IStrategyChain strategies, Object buildKey, Object existing)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.DoBuildUp(Type t, Object existing, String name)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerBase.Resolve[T]()
   at Act.Application.ActBootstrapper.ConfigureContainer()
   at Act.Composite.UnityExtensions.SimpleUnityBootstrapper.Run(Boolean useDefaultConfiguration)
   at Act.Application.Act.Main(String[] args)

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException

Hello Tmgibs3434,

Welcome to the Act! Online Community!

It looks like the installation of the Act! program has become corrupted.  To resolve this error, try uninstalling and then reinstalling the program.

If the database is in the default location, the uninstall (through Add/Remove or Programs and Features) will not affect it.  As a precaution, you can manually back up your database files by:

- click on Windows Start button > XP - click on Run > enter 'Services.msc'.  For Vista/Win7 > enter 'Services.msc' in the Search field

- on the Services screen > scroll to 'SQL Server (Act7)' > stop this service

- once stopped you can manually copy/paste your Act! database files (ADF, ALF, PAD, and 'database files' folder) to another location.

- once copied, restart the service

- now uninstall and reinstall the Act! program 

Greg Martin
Sage

I need the file to reinstall the program
Platinum Super Contributor

I'm unable to locate your information in our records, what is the version of Act! you are running?  If you are unsure but have the serial number available, you can send me a Private Message with that information and I can look it up.
Greg Martin
Sage

I have the same problem, I unstalled and reinstalled the program umpteen times. The error message continues. I'm running Vista 32bit.

I have the EXACT Same problem Installing Act! 2011. I have uninstalled, ran cleaning programs . reinstalled Windows, Reinstalled act (5the time) and it STILL Does this!!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!1

This is the buggiest program I have ever used. I'm about ready to throw it in the traxsh!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Microsoft.Practices.Unity.ResolutionFailedException: Resolution of the dependency failed, type = "Act.UI.ActApplication", name = "". Exception message is: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader. Possible causes are invalid stream or object version change between serialization and deserialization.

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.__BinaryParser.Run()

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName) (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildFailedException: The current build operation (build key Build Key[Act.UI.ActApplication, null]) failed: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader. Possible causes are invalid stream or object version change between serialization and deserialization.

at System.Runtime.Serialization.Formatters.Binary.ObjectReader.Deserialize(HeaderHandler handler, __BinaryParser serParser, Boolean fCheck, Boolean isCrossAppDomain, IMethodCallMessage methodCallMessage)

at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.Deserialize(String fileName) (Strategy type BuildPlanStrategy, index 3) ---> System.Exception: System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Binary stream '0' does not contain a valid BinaryHeader. Possible causes are invalid stream or object version change between serialization and deserialization.

at Act.UI.Core.CustomCommandHelper.get_CustomMacroHandlers()

at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.RestoreImagesToCollection()

at Act.UI.Core.Explorer.LoadDisconnectedMenuToolBar()

at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeExplorer()

at Act.UI.ActApplication.InitializeApplication()

at Act.UI.ActApplication..ctor(IUnityContainer container, IEventAggregator eventAggregator)

at BuildUp_Act.UI.ActApplication(IBuilderContext )

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.DynamicMethodBuildPlan.BuildUp(IBuilderContext context)

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.BuildPlanStrategy.PreBuildUp(IBuilderContext context)

at Microsoft.Practices.ObjectBuilder2.Builder.BuildUp(IReadWriteLocator locator, ILifetimeContainer lifetime, IPolicyList policies, IStrategyChain strategies, Object buildKey, Object existing)

at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainer.Resolve(Type t, String name)

at Microsoft.Practices.Unity.UnityContainerBase.Resolve[T]()

at Act.Application.ActBootstrapper.ConfigureContainer()

at Act.Composite.UnityExtensions.SimpleUnityBootstrapper.Run(Boolean useDefaultConfiguration)

at Act.Application.Act.Main(String[] args)

Fred OBrien
Copper Super Contributor

If uninstalling and reinstalling does not resolve the issue, then try this KB article.

The first step is easiest: Right click on ACT! icon, select Run as Administrator. If that doesn't work, then follow the rest of the steps in this article.

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2586...

I have the same problem, tried all the fixes listed in the article, and have unistalled/reinstalled and nothing is working, this is just one of many errors we are having with ACT i'm getting to the point that i'm going to stop using it! can anyone please shed any light on this?