Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Meta Phone number lookup

Astute Commentator

Meta Phone number lookup

Is there a way to structure a query that will lookup a single phone number across all phone based fields. Obviously, I can do that each time using an advanced query, but it is directed toward a specific number.

I want to structure a lookup that I can attach to a button on the Contact layout toolbar that will look up any number I put in across all the phone number fields so that I don't have to do separate lookups on Phone, Phone2 Car Phone Fax, etc.

Any ideas or comments?

Thank you in advance,

Pat Lekawa

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Meta Phone number lookup

The lookup function can only query on one field at a time, so you would have to use an Advanced Query to accomplish this.  You can try a keyword search, will search every field for the item you are looking.  This option is under the Lookup menu.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

KSS
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is an excellent question.  Would it not make sense for SAGE to create a, "ALL Phone Number Field Lookup".  After all, this is a Contact Management Software program.  There are few fields that could be a more logical category for a general search. 

In my case the only way I can look for a phone number, in all phone number fields, is to do a keyword search of every field in the database.  Unfortunately, since my data base is almost 80,000 records, the search can take more than a minute. This is obviously a great time waster.  With so many contacts having many different phone numbers (Home1, Home2, Cell, Work, Fax, Spouse, etc.), there should be a way in the keyword search to search by a select group of fields with similar characteristics (ie: Phone #).  The phone number search should include ALL phone number fields including Secondary contacts.  I would hope that SAGE reacts to this very common problem that frustrates so many users.  Please respond.

Message Edited by KSS on 01-30-2009 03:12 PM

If there was a way to search fields with same character types, it would take the same amount of time. Unless you also have a large amount of custom fields.  To lookup secondary contact phone numbers, go to Lookup > Other Fields... > Secondary Phone

Please submit a feature request to be considered in a future version - http://www.act.com/community/feature/

KSS
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Dear Mr. Lunceford,

I do understand that with so many questions coming in that it would be difficult for every moderator to have the answers to each one.  However, your company (SAGE) needs to have a way to coordinate information between your internal experts so that you do not lead users with very logical questions down the wrong path.  Even your assumption that if this search was available it would still take an extended period of time, is absolutely wrong.

As I had indicated in my previous post, having a universal ALL PHONE NUMBER LOOKUP is quite an important feature to have in a database management program.  There is probably no more important field to be able to do a universal lookup on than the Phone # field.

I did further digging and research after I posted my comment and I was able to determine that there IS a solution to this problem. (Difficult to find if you do not know where to look.)

The almost complete solution... Believe it or not... is built into the program but most people at ACT don't even know about it.  I know this because I have been asking for this solution for 4 years and was always told it can't be done within ACT's program.  The results of the search are almost instantaneous and I have a 75,000++ contact database with extensive custom fields. 

Here it is:

There is a Field that is named>>>>>    ANY PHONE FIELD

If you do a LOOKUP search on that field name it looks at almost ALL Phone Number fields for the answer.  It does not look in the Secondary Contacts Phone fields.  (Even in a Keyword Search none of the SECONDARY CONTACT FIELDS are searched.)  If anyone finds a solution for that one please let me know. (On a side note, your answer to my Secondary Phone # lookup question does not solve my problem either.  If you had a Secondary... Home, Work, Mobile & Fax # you would have to look it up 4 times, a big time waster.)

I am attempting to find a way to create a ALL PHONE NUMBER LOOKUP menu dropdown option that will make it a one step process to do this search.  PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND WITH A SUGGESTION TO ASK ACT! (SAGE) TO PUT IT IN THEIR NEXT VERSION, AS I AM LOOKING FOR ACTION NOT WORDS.  It is truly unbelievable to me that this very commonly needed search is not automatically built into the Lookup toolbar dropdown, out of the box.

KSS

Message Edited by kss on 02-02-2009 12:18 PM
Message Edited by kss on 02-02-2009 12:28 PM
Nickel Contributor

This sounds like an excellent opportunity for a feature request. This can be done, but would require some work on the back end to make the queries look in multiple tables.

Request a Feature

KSS
Copper Contributor

Dear Default,

I am assuming that you were responding to my message of 1/30/09 and not my 2/2/09 message.

When you read my 2/2/09 message you will see that the problem does not need any special programing for the queries.  However, if you are aware of how to create a menu item for the LOOKUP dropdown, that would be enlightening.

KSS

Nickel Contributor

It does, currently all phone fields doesn't include the secondary contacts, regardless of the fact that it is a phone field. I assume it also omits phone fields located in other tables such as group and company phone numbers.

The work around would be to create an advanced query with the first field criteria being any phone field and the second list item being secondary contact phone number. This advanced query could then be added to the lookup menu by creating a custom command point to the saved query file.

KSS
Copper Contributor

This sounds like a good suggestion. 

When you click on the lookup menu for this suggested advanced query would the phone number to be searched on be easily (One Step) modified.

I do appreciate your taking the time to actually come up with a solution, Thank-you.

KSS

Nickel Contributor

The advanced query would look something like this:

Type              Field name                   Operator                  Value

Contact          Any phone field              equal to(=)              XXXXXXX            Or

Contact         Sec. Contact Phone #     equal to (=)             XXXXXXX            End

You can then save the query as a .qry file, which can be used to create a custom command.

Hope this is helpful.