Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merged emails sit in the draft folder...why?

Mo
Copper Contributor

Merged emails sit in the draft folder...why?

I am using ACT Premium for Real Estate Version 10.0.1.199 with Outlook 2007. I attempted to send a Thanksgiving Day email to my clients and much to my shock after coming back from holiday, found that they were sitting "supposedly" unsent in my draft folder! I say supposedly because I did get some thank-you notes indicating some had received the email even as their message still sits in the draft folder!  I am not sure therefore, who did and who didn't. I am assuming since many did not respond, some personal friends, that they never received it. Any thoughts? I did read some of the responses in this forum but they didn't seem to relate to my situation.  TIA

Bronze Contributor

Re: Merged emails sit in the draft folder...why?

Mo

a) go and see if there is an update as version 10 had a 10.03 update before version 11 was released

b) Check for any updates to Outlook

Then test again

How many were you sending I would do them in blocks of 100 or less and turn off immediate send in Outlook when doing a mail merge

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Mo
Copper Contributor

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for your rapid response!!  I attempted to send out about 65.  I will look for an update to both Act and Outlook. I did a quick search looking for 10.03 however and found that someone had Outlook sync problems thereafter...yikes! The "turn off immediate send in Outlook when doing a mail merge" sounds like a great idea even though it is cumbersome requiring that I remember to turn it off and then on.

Much appreciated!

Copper Elite Contributor

The problem I'm seeing with ACT! 2010 Prem HF4 is that the mail merged emails go into the draft folder, and regardless of the settings you have applied, they get sent, where in previous versions you could disable the auto send/receive and you could review them in your outbox before sending.

If I take of send/receive on startup and no scheduled send/receive - they will sit out in the drafts - but this requires telling the individual user to change their settings before performing a mail merge - or is there an easier way.

Just disabling the scheduled send/receive does NOT stop them from automatically sending.

Kris Lock

kris@fortierconsulting.com

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com
Tuned Listener

I have Outlook 2007 and Act 2010 ... I did an email merge from a template, but wanted to add personal notes before sending.  I would like to preview before sending, make the notes, and then - send.  Is there a way to make this happen?

Copper Elite Contributor

Is anyone checking this forum?  The idea that all email merges go into the Drafts folder and then sends is a change that is confusing to people.  Because it sends from the Drafts regardless if you stop the scheduled send/receive has to be addressed.  Other times, the merged emails sit in the Drafts folder - as evident by the other posts.

Is this an Outlook thing or an ACT! thing? What changed in the ACT! program that sends email merges now to Drafts instead of the Outbox?

While this is an opportunity for the client to use the ACT! Marketing tool, in some cases the added cost is not an option.  Instead I'm having very frustrated clients calling...Smiley Sad

Kris Lock

ACC

kris@fortierconsulting.com

Kris Lock
Inside Sales Manager/ACT! Certified Consultant
Technology Transfer Services
www.techtransfer.com
www.myodesie.com

This is an old post - but I'm desperate.  All of a sudden my email merges are sent to draft.  ONLY my custom templates.

Every single one of my 20 custom templates went to draft.  The email starts merging, then I get the message:

Cannot open the Item.  Try Again.

I called support and after two hours. the rep said that ALL OF MY Custom Templates had corrupted!!!.  He said this can happen when you shut down your computer.  I had a few choice words for him. I  even restored an old backup to see if THOSE templates were "corrupted'. What do you know.  Got the same darn message.  At that point the rep said to call an Act consultant!!

Anyway - today I see all 40+ emails in my DRAFTS folder.  What's going on?  

Act! Pro Version 17.2.217.0, Hot Fix 2
English (United States)
Swiftpage ACT! LLC

KC

Bronze Contributor

Make sure that the Outlook preferences has not been unchecked to stop emails from going into the sent folder. Sometimes an antivirus program will do,that if it suspects malware is sending out emails.  Depending on the version of Outlook where this setting lives varies. Tools options Preferences and then the email  Options. 

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Administrator

Here's a knowledgebase article that details what Patricia is describing:
http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/25103

I cannot find this.  What version of Outlook is this KB displaying?

I have outlook 2013 - part of Office 365 business.