Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merge option in add Mail Merge Fields do not match field names in ACT system

Tuned Listener

Merge option in add Mail Merge Fields do not match field names in ACT system

I am trying to create mail merge templates in word and the option in my field list do not match the field in ACT.  We have changed the names of some fields and the old fields are showing in word.  How do I fix this so I can merge all fields correctly?  Anyone know?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Merge option in add Mail Merge Fields do not match field names in ACT system

This is an exmple of why changing field names of existing fields is generally not a great idea.

When you say that "the old fields are showing in word", I am guessing that you mean that the templates' merge fields have not been updated to reflect the new field names?

This is by design - there is no live link between a field in the database and a merge field code in a word template.  You will need to go back to any of the templates that contain the old field names and update them by deleting the old merge field code and entering the "new" fields.

Tuned Listener

Re: Merge option in add Mail Merge Fields do not match field names in ACT system

The only fields that will not merge are fields that we custom created.  We did not change any standard field names.  The mail merge options in word (in the pick from field box) are not displaying the field names for these custom created fields.  How if at all can I update this so that all of the fields in ACT show up in the option to merge? 

Example:  We have a custom created tab called "Agent Tab" and in this tab I have certian fields I need to have merged into templates such as "Executed Contract Date", now when I go in and try to add this field into a template letter the field "Executed Contract Date" is not listed in my options. 

Can someone from ACT answer this query as I'm experiencing the same issue. What's the point in having a template that only allows you to put contact fields in and not fields from other areas?