Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merge Secondary contacts from one ACT DB to another ACT DB

Copper Elite Contributor

Merge Secondary contacts from one ACT DB to another ACT DB

[ Edited ]

I have ACT Pro 2014 v16 16.0.291.0 Hot fix 5.

I was having syncing problems - the data field changes I was makng were not syncing to the clients. So, I ran actdiag. After running Actdiag, it was not able to fix the problem. The message was that it could run another fix but I might lose data. So, I did a backup and ran the fix. The fix appeared to work. However, the next day, after creating new remotes, I noticed that ALL secondary contacts were missing from ALL of the contact files.

I restored the backup to a new database in it's own folder. The secondary contacts are in the backup DB. How do I merge them from the backup into the newer DB? Both are on my server.

I looked and there is no option for merging secondary contacts via the wizard.  Do I need to do an export and import?

I had a lot of problems converting my ACT from Premium 2011 over to ACT pro 2014.  Is it possible that one of the problems was because I have ID/Status set as a required field, in 2011 ID/Status was not a field in Secondary contacts. Or, if it was, it wasn't a required field even though it is a required field in the primary contact. Therefore, I did not have ID/Status completed in any of the secondary contacts. Whenever I opened a secondary contact in ACT Pro, I would get an error and was required to complete the ID/Status field. Is it possible that is why ACTDiag deleted all of my secondary contacts - because they were all errors? Has anyone heard of that being an issue?

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Merge Secondary contacts from one ACT DB to another ACT DB

Swiftpage replied to my eMail with this response: 

"Secondary contacts are transferred during database to database import/export.  The issue is not related to required fields. "

Note: I have my suspicions about it not  being related to the ID/Status being a required field. We do know  that secondary contacts has been a known issue for over a year when upgrading versions - both importing and syncing when new ones are created.  That is something Swiftpage doesn't make clear when purchasing your upgrade.

At any rate, I still have no solution to get back my secondary contacts.  Q: Actdiag removed ALL secondary contacts for some reason. At least I made a backup minutes before running Actdiag.  Is there a procedure to get them back? If not, can I at least run a report to get all the info printed so we can key enter the secondary contacts?