Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Merge, Record History, Attach Document

Merge, Record History, Attach Document

When I send a letter to multiple recipients, I'd like to record the history AND attach the letter/document to that contacts history. When I did a merge, it created a Word document that contained all the letters. I then saved the document, went to each contact, did some cutting and pasting to attach the document to each history, etc., etc. I think it would have been just as fast to not do the merge, but send them all individually. Doing it this way with 2 or 3 contacts wouldn't be that bad but yesterday I did it with about 20 and even that became very tedious. Recording the history was automated but after that it all went down hill fast. Is there an approach that would automate the whole thing?

Re: Merge, Record History, Attach Document

If you print the letter after doing the mail merge, it will prompt to record history for each contact.

Yes, it prompts me to record the history but I can't see a way to attach the letter I'd written to that history. It simply brings up the dialog asking if I want to record the history, but it doesn't ask about attaching the document (Word file) to that history.

Aside from that, when I did the mail merge it created a single 20 page Word document (20 one page letters to 20 different people). Even if I found a way to automatically attach that document, I wouldn't want it to contain the letters to the other 19 people. By the way, thanks for responding.

Platinum Elite Contributor

The mail merge to multiple contacts is an iterative process within a single document. That is why you end up with a single document containing the 20 individual letters. That is also why the mail merge document has never automatically attached to history in ACT! for Windows. What I do is run the mail merge and in the history reference the template I used for the mail merge. That way I can track the letter sent without creating multiple copies of the same document with only a few changes to each copy.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks Roy. I'd thought about doing it that way (assuming I understand you correctly), but when I thought about how much I'd changed the letter for each contact, I thought it would be better if I attached an exact copy. I'd done a fair amount of hand editing in addition to the merged portions, and was afraid I'd forget exactly what I'd said. I guess the lesson is for me to be more disciplined in how I create a template and what custom information I merge into it. That, or just do them one at a time I guess.

If I'm obviously still missing something, any further input would be much appreciated. While I've gotten some of the basics more or less figured out, I certainly don't profess to be an expert.

I have lost this prompt box when I print, how do I get it back?

Is there a way to have the History noted even if you dont print direct from ACT?  I have the merge sent to the word processor, but it does not prompt me to attacht to history.  (I have to save the merge on a thumb drive and print off a different computer.)
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello bjwhite,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Unfortunately you will not get the prompt to record history until you print the merge file. As a workaround, you can choose to print to a PDF file or Microsoft Document Writer instead of an actual printer. Doing this will still give you the record history option.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.