Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Maximum record capability.

Tom
Copper Contributor

Maximum record capability.

I'm running ACT 2009 and need to know how I can get a little over 2,000,000 records into the database.  Is it possible?  I'm running a fast quad core computer with win 7, 4 gig of ram and 71 gig left on a fast hard drive.  I also have a terabyte hard drive that could be used if necessary. What do I need to do?

Thanks,

Tom

Bronze Contributor

Re: Maximum record capability.

Hello Tom.  First, be aware that I am not an engineer, just a user.  From reading other posts on this board, you are only limited to your HDD capacity.  While an external 1TB hard drive may hold the 2 million records, retrieval activity will be impacted because it is external.

It would be best if your primary drive has the capacity.

It shold be fairly simple to estimate the size of the HDD you need.  See how much your current db is taking and divide it by the number of records.  Then multiply that by 2 million.  Needless to say that is only an estimate.  It will all depend on the amount of data in each record, of course.  Memo fields are the one that are not clearly defined for size.  (Would one of the consultants verify my last statement?)

Regardless, it should give you an estimate. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Tom
Copper Contributor

Re: Maximum record capability.

Thanks for the response.  The terabyte drive is internal so I should have plenty of room.  I will probably have to upgrade my ram and may have to go to an SSD due to the speed requirements of such a large database..

Tom