Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Max file name length for attachments during backup?

Copper Contributor

Max file name length for attachments during backup?

I normally only do backups without attachments, but I recently have had a need to do a backup with attachments and am getting an error message that some file name lengths are too long? What is the maximum file length and is there a way to change that?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Max file name length for attachments during backup?

The maximum file nay length is set by Windows. I'm not sure what the mac length is but I do know that it includes the full path name along with the file name itself.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Contributor

But then how was the file created in the first place? It already exists in windows, buried mich deeper in the file system than my backup
Nickel Contributor

As the problem ist there, it doesn't make sense to reason back and forth about any existing limit and what it is and where it might come from.

The only way to solve this is to move the database to a short path on the server. Detach it, move the whole database structure to something like c:\act and re-attach it there.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
www.melville-schellmann.de
Copper Contributor

That will save me a whopping 8 characters, but I will try it. But the file names themselves are sometimes 40 characters long, so the reason it's important is because even this method may not get the desired result. Clearly windows doesn't have a problem with the length of the filename since the file name already exists, the problem must be with how the backup procedure is performed

Nickel Contributor

Then maybe a PLAN B would be advisable:

Do ACT! backups without attachments and use another backup tool/plan for the attachments folder.

Windows built-in Zipper will NOT do the job, try 7-zip.

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
Copper Contributor

I'll try that. I just cant imagine I am the only one that has had this problem. Looking at the attached files, it seems many of them are system generated, either by Act or by Outlook (many of the files are *.msg)

Look at this 120 character gem:

'18296 832bd7ed-ac1f-41c4-89d6-1934fd94bd19 096e5391-fe12-452a-815b-28c22d08c0e6 36912274-8c59-41e3-acc5-eefe10a394b2.xls'

Clearly no user named that file, but it takes up nearly half of the max windows file name limit of 255 characters. Put it under c:\act data\act\halen-database files\attachments (an additional 49 charcaters), and you can see how this gets out of hand. Even if I moved the entire database to the root directory, the folder structure for Act has to remain intact

Nickel Contributor

Do you by chance have an Excel file that you "re-use" frequently and attach it to multiple contacts to document something?

The generated file name hints that, as it consists of so-called GUIDs which are indeed manufactured by ACT! desperately trying to keep file names unique...

Andreas Schlesselmann
Melville-Schellmann GbR
Germany
Copper Contributor

Im not sure what this file is. It was created in 2009 and i have only been with the company since 2016. We have 90 users and 40000 contacts. There are a LOT of attachments since the outlook plugin attaches the email msg everytime. Not sure who would be attaching a xls file back then and our server does not have office installed to even open some of these files to see
Platinum Elite Contributor

To go back to my original reply, the full path name is part of the max file name. When ACT! does a backup it initially creates a backup file in a temp folder which for purposes of creating the backup file the temp folder becomes part of each separate file name. this means that a file name that is near the limit might exceed the limit during the creation of the backup file.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129