Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Massive data loss after changing Sync Set

Copper Contributor

Massive data loss after changing Sync Set

Among the serveral Outlook / ACT sync issues, this is the most dangerous one.

For a collaborator, I have synced ACT and Outlook (on Exchange). Total contacts (in ACT and Outlook): ~5000

To perform some tests, I switched the sync set from 'All Contacts' to a Sync Set containing only one contact.

When I launched the sync, I noticed many contacts disappear from Outlook and I suddently stopped the syncronization.

Result: 1300 contacts have disappeared from Outlook.

Can anyone tell me what happened?

Copper Contributor

Re: Massive data loss after changing Sync Set

Update.

I re-set the 'All contacts' sync set

I re-launched a sync

Contacts are back.

Some fields (such as contact notes) are missing or out-of-date.

Can anyone confirm that a change in the sync set is interpreted by ACT as "I deleted all the other contacts"?

Platinum Super Contributor

The sync set tells Sage ACT! which contacts you want entered into Outlook, changing the sync set tells it you now desire this different set of contacts. By design, it will remove from Outlook the contacts no longer included in the sync set.
Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Thanks for the answer. It would be nice to have some warnings and/or advice somewhere, this is potentially dangerous.

I am still unsure whether some contacts or data have been lost!

Bronze Super Contributor

Great example of why "testing" should be done in a test environment, not on live data - especially if you are not sure how things will behave.

Copper Contributor

"Great example of why 'testing' should be done in a test environment, not on live data - especially if you are not sure how things will behave."

In an ideal world this would be true.

But in the real world:

This is a "great example" of what ACT should do better or entirely remove: Outlook integration. People everywhere are struggling with this and Sage should stop advertising and producing a crippled integration altogether.

A basic feature such as "keep contact in Outlook if deleted from ACT" is still missing: a full Outlook backup must be performed before making any change you make in ACT. Quite tiresome and time-consuming.

Sure, a 'testing' phase is needed for such products. But the typical ACT Pro client (small enterprises) cannot invest too much in this and many things are just considered as being reliable. A big mistake for this solution.

Finally, could you please define test environment? Because that would imply a new PC, with an Outlook license for a test user, with an ACT license for 'testing'.

This might become very expensive unless I missed something along the way.

Bronze Super Contributor

Sorry you have had issues.  

ACT! - like any software - works a certain way.  

When working with features that will impact multiple records, if one is not absolutely sure how the systems involved will behave, implementing changes that affect REAL data is a highly risky action.  Not an ACT! issue here...  Sometimes the software may have flaws, sometimes things just don't work the way our mind does.  Doesn't reall matter if there are unexpected consequences.

Real world.

Take a look at Oracle Virtual Box - it is open source - i.e. FREE - and is a good solution for creating a "sandbox" that allows you to observe how things work, without risking the destruction of potentially PRICELESS business intelligence.