Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mass email update

Copper Contributor

Mass email update

our clients are brokers, and with so many mergers, email addresses are changing rapidly.  Is there a way to update the company extension part of the email in ACT?  i.e. john.doe@smithbarney.com to johndoe@morganstanley.com

When we export, we can get it changed, but it creates a new record when we import it back in.  Thanks.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mass email update

Hello,

Unfortunately there is not a method for partially changing the data in a field. The export/change/import method you are using is the best workaround I know of. If you are getting new records when you import the names back in, then you probably need to adjust your duplicate checking settings by going to Tools/Preferences and clicking the Duplicate Checking button. Choose 2-3 fields, that will allow the records to match exactly as duplicates...you can even create a temporary custom field with a value of "Email Update" for all records you are updating and use that for duplicate checking criteria.  Also, when you are doing the import back into the database, when you get to the screen that has "Contact Merge Options", choose "Merge" on the left and "Do not add" on the right. Assuming that all the contacts in the import will be duplicates, the second setting will prevent new records from being created.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Has ACT added the feature to allow bulk partial changes to email addresses, when a customer group changes their domain name?  This would be a great feature to add adn very simple.  I belive the "Bulk It" add-on will do it but this really should be part of ACT.   I'm tired of buying aftermarket add ons to do things a CRM should do, like automatically linking emails RECEIVED from a contact.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello Larry,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. Unfortunately, the ability to partially edit a field is not available in the current version of ACT!. You can submit this as a feature request by posting it on Ideas board for our developement team to review.

As for the ability to attach incoming emails, that feature was added back in ACT! 2009 (version 11). You can do this using a special Outlook rule. Informations and instructions are in KB Article 23020.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Larry,

To provide an edit utility for the extension/domain name component of an email field based on Lookup shouldn't be too hard.

I will schedule this for completion by 20th October 2010 and add it to our free add-ons site FREEACTADD-ONS

Check back on our site at that time for your wish to be granted...:-)

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Bronze Contributor

Was this ever done?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB, Win 10 Pro, & Office 365, 32bit
Bronze Elite Contributor

John,

You sent a private email which I responded to

Graeme Leo

Bronze Elite Contributor

All those interested,

Xact Software will produce a free utility that will allow the selective editing of the email field as requested and post here when we have it available. Allow 10 days or less.    

Graeme Leo

Bronze Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi All,

As promised new free add-on from Xact Software.
Ability to bulk edit/replace the domain of email addresses i.e. anything after the @ in an email address. You will need to create an Xact account to install the software but there is no charge for the software.    

EmailEdit.pngTo access the utility go to the Edit menu in the Act! contact detail view. You can choose other email fields to edit if you have more than one. 

To download go to www.xactsoftware.co.nz/downloads/XactEmailChanger.zip 

Graeme Leo