Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Masking an HTML Link

Masking an HTML Link

I have created a custom html link field in a custom tab that I would like to be a part of a mail merge. I have gotten the link to display properly in the mail merge email however is it possible to have a text that says "For more information click here" and actually have it go to a link supplied by a html link mail merged field? I have tried entering the href command in the template but it only displays it as text. Any ideas? Smiley Happy

Re: Masking an HTML Link

Anyone???

Employee

I'm not sure this is possible. The application your merging into would have to be capable of parsing HTML tags. I don't believe that Word does this.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Appreciate the response. If that won't be possible, is there a way to stop the merge from sending to the contact list to allow you to edit the email first and place the embedded link? Sometimes it seems to stop and allow me to hit send and other times it seems to send out automatically. I can't place why. Thank you again!

Employee

Even if you could halt the operatioin to alter the hyperlink to an embedded url, when it merged to the document I believe you'd just see <a href=....>text</href> rather than an embedded link like your wanting.

I experimented with word 2010 for a bit to see if I could get it to insert the merged data into href HTML blocks but as i suspected word just not set up as an HTML editor and doesn't handle the tags.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

You are correct, however when you are sending these as email merge in outlook 2007  instead of a word document you can embed an html tag in the email message as long as its formatted in html and not plain text. 

So now I need to figure out if it's possible to stop a merge from emailing before it gets sent out. Sometimes when I do it that way it stops and I can preview the message and embed the code, other times it seems to just send the email straight to the outbox and send.

Any ideas? Smiley Happy

Platinum Super Contributor

With the Mail Merge process, the behavior is:  If you send to a single (1) contact - it will present the email message for review.  If you send to multiple contacts (2+) it will send automatically.

Greg Martin
Sage