Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mapping in import to First Name & Last Name of the Contact

Astute Commentator

Mapping in import to First Name & Last Name of the Contact

I have some contacts and other information that I would like to import into act. I have it all figured out, but what I do not see is the ability to "map to" a First Name and "map to" a Last Name as those fields just do not show up. The names are in excel and there is a column for First Names and another column for Last names. I know that I could create 3rd column and put the 2 together and then I can map that  to the Contact, but is sure seems that I should be able to map directly to the first name of the contact and to the last name of the contact.

Can someone please tell me how to do this?

Thanks,

Alan

Copper Contributor

Re: Mapping in import to First Name & Last Name of the Contact

Hi Alan,

It's really easy.  In your Excel sheet insert a column after "First Name" and "Last Name" fields then type in the formula    =CONCATENATE(text1,  [text2],[text3], ...)   See the excel msg for clarity.

Good luck. 

Long Term Care for families in New York and New Jersey from the leading Insurance companies, to eliminate the burden on the support people. Monitor the care not provide it.
Astute Commentator

Thanks. I was aware of this solution. I think using the "&" operator instead of CONCATENATE to join text items is easier in many cases. I just thought it seemed strange that you can not map directly to a first or last name........

Alan

Platinum Super Contributor

If your import file contains column headings for 'First Name' and 'Last Name' the import mapping screen should be automatically identifying these fields and mapping appropriately.  If the column names do not match this exactly, they will not be mapped and you are correct - 'First Name' and 'Last Name' are not select-able from the mapping screen.

Greg Martin
Sage
Astute Commentator

Thanks,

That was not really the answer I was looking for, but at least I know.

Alan

Copper Contributor

My question is related, but different...

I've got a CONTACT field in my ACT 2010 database of more than 3400 records. This field holds FIRSTNAME LASTNAME (it's the default ACT Contact field).

Now, due to changes in our setup, I'd like to replace the CONTACT field with a FIRSTNAME field and a LASTNAME field, and migrate the CONTACT field appropriately.

-drew
www.drewvogel.com

ACT! 2013 Premium; Microsoft Office 2010
Platinum Super Contributor

As you enter data into the Contact field, it is automaticallay parsed out to the built-in fields for First Name and Last Name.  You can add the First Name and Last Name fields to your layout, but you will not be able to edit them (only view). 

Greg Martin
Sage

I have a csv file from outlook and trying to import into ACT 2011. The First Name, Middle Name and Last Name fields are all correctly headed. On the map I see First Name to First Name, Middle Name to Middle Name but Last Name to blank. If I attampt the import I see First Name mapped to Surname and no First Name! Any ideas thankfully received.

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello TTLR,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. Your regional settings may have different names for the name field parts. Just make sure that the column name in your .csv file matches the field name used in ACT!. This should automatically map those fields during the import.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Oddly enough, when I did not select 'import first field' which is the column titles, it gave me the option for First Name and Last Name.

Probably something I was not reading right, but if it is so confusing as noted in the posts above, a change to the software should be made. Reading through the posts, these are not novice users.