Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mapping Fields

Tuned Listener

Mapping Fields

Act pro 17

I pulled contacts from Reference USA and I am trying to make mailing labels.

I have an csv. file from which I am mapping.

The csv. file has first name and last name separated.

Question: Is there a way map first and last name on the same line for mailing labels?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mapping Fields

Are you trying to bring the CSV into Act!?
You can map to First Name and Last Name when doing that ... Then, you would print the label using the field "Contact", which includes both
Tuned Listener

I go to:

Import

Text - separated by commas

Choose the csv. file to import

Contact records

Custom import

Map from this field "shows first and last names on separate lines

Question: Map to this field on right, what do I enter in drop down box for first name and then last name?

Are the names in you import in the two fields? Then use those. If they are already in one field, use Contact and don't map to those two

The default label templates in ACT! use the first and last name fields rather than the contact field. A custom label template can be designed to use either the contact field or the separate first and last name fields.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Yes the names i am importing are in two fields First Name and Last Name.

I match on left side csv import Company, First Name, Last Name, Address, City, State, Zip Code.

I then hit save map and name it.

I then load that saved map and import.

All Companies go to act.

No Contact, first or last name goes into act.

No Address goes into act.

Some but not all cities go into act.

All the states go into act.

All the zip codes go into act

Administrator

Hi gregkmit,

When you are importing the contacts, are you selecting Contact records or Company record on step 3 of the import wizard? If you are importing names, you'll need to import using Contact records.

The following Knowledgebase article explains how to use the import wizard in more detail: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/26828
Tuned Listener

Yes I am hitting the contact option.

I followed these steps below and are still getting blanks in act contact.

I am changing the left side (csv) to first name instead of executive first name and the same with last name with still no sucess.

Important note regarding mapping contact names:
If you are intending to map to the Contact name field in ACT!, but your file is formatted to list contacts by First Name and Last Name in separate columns, you can map to the First Name and Last Name fields in ACT! during the mapping process, and the Contact field in ACT! will be populated automatically with the data from both of these fields. To do this, you must name the columns in your file exactly as "First Name" and "Last Name", so that they will be automatically matched during the mapping process. This same rule applies to "Middle Name", "Name Prefix" (Mr., Mrs, Dr.,etc), and "Name Suffix" (PhD, Jr., Sr., etc.).

Administrator

How old is your database?

There could be some inconsistencies with First Name and Last Name fields. If you could attach your field list, we can look into it a little further.

To generate your field list, run Actdiag > Databases > Database List > Right-click your database > Database Reports, then select Field List to CSV.

It would also be worth attaching the .map file that you saved when configuring your import map.

Tuned Listener

Hi Gary:

This process was unsuccessful. (To generate your field list, run Actdiag > Databases > Database List > Right-click your database > Database Reports, then select Field List to CSV.)

The data bases are new from Reference USA.

see these two pictures of them.

I attached them in pictures in this return post.IMG_4957.JPGIMG_4958.JPG