Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manual Database Install and Recommendations

Manual Database Install and Recommendations

Hi

I would like to know if it is possible/recommended to run the Sage ACT! database without any Sage software on the database server. That is either create the database manually on the database server, or create the database using the Sage ACT! software on a test machine and manually copy the database to the database server.

I believe this is possible, but in reply to an earlier question I was advised that it is not recommended to run the database without ACT! software on the same server.

In our environment it would be a show-stopper if any application client/admin software had to run on our corporate production database servers.

Could anyone please direct me to any KB articles on the possible/recommended database architecture?

Thanks and take care,

Shayne

Silver Contributor

Re: Manual Database Install and Recommendations

You need to have an ACT SQL instance (doesn't require ACT software) but you also need to have the ACT program on the server.  ACT will not work on a simple file server because the sql engine needs to be running.

If you are unable to get permissions to put ACT on your server, you could set up a simple peer to peer sharing of the database between two workstatiosn or consider hosting your database with a hosting provider.

http://na.sage.com/sage-act/partners/hosting-providers/directory/

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks

What is considered to be the ACT program? It is the 'need to have the ACT program in the server' that I need to clarify. I'm not familiar with ACT, but we desire a typical 3-tier client-server architecture.

1. User facing ACT web application on one web app server
2. Backend ACT SQL database server on another (no ACT software just database)
3. ACT admin software on a user workstation

Is this possible?

Thanks and take care,
Shayne
Platinum Elite Contributor

No.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi

Would you be able to tell me which Sage software (not MS) is required to run on: the database server, the web application server, the client? In an access via the web, multiple server architecture?

Take care,

Shayne

Bronze Elite Contributor

Unfortunately ACT! does not follow the classical n-tier architecture. You'll need to install the ACT! windows client software on each server/machine. You can choose to do a SQL-less install on the web server and the client machine.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog