Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manual CD sync of a remote database. What is best way to package it?

Copper Super Contributor

Manual CD sync of a remote database. What is best way to package it?

I will be using the server / remote database option.  Some people here on our network will be using it.  But one person is in another State and the VPN/WAN option is out of the question. Once the person in another state has received the published remote database via CD or FTP, they will start using it.  Then to sync, I will need them to send me the remote database back. What files will I need?

I will open it on a machine here on the network and sync it with our server from a computer here that is not the server and return it to them.

I was thinking I would just close ACT and zip the database files up and FTP it back to them. They could delete their existing remote database and open the one I send them, or the could just copy and paste the files over the old ones.  What is the best and easiest method?

If I use this method, what files do I need? I think I just need the ADF, ALF, PAD files and the database files folder. This should be everything. Is this all we need to zip up and ship back and forth 4 times a year?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Manual CD sync of a remote database. What is best way to package it?

You simply can't synchronize databases that way. Once you have unpacked and installed the remote database on the remote computer, any attempt to move that database to a different computer will automatically disable synchronization. Your synchronization options are VPN, internet sync if you are using the premium version or VPN using a third party internet link like Hamachi.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Manual CD sync of a remote database. What is best way to package it?

Ok, the sync option is out, but what about having them just send me the files back, I open them on another machine here (which you say will disable the sync option), then export all the data to another database or spreadsheet, and import that data into the server. Then republish a new remote database and send it back to them. They delete their database using the maintance option and unpack the new remote database.