Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Managing Spouse Contact with Different Last Names

Managing Spouse Contact with Different Last Names

We are in the process of (re)implementing Act! and I'm having issues with mangaging contact information for spouses who have different last names.  The way it has been implemented as a workaround by the office manager is to enter one name in the First Name field, the first person's last name and the spouse's first name in the Middle Name field, and the spouse's last name in the last name field.  For example:

First Name: Robert

Middle Name: McExample & Jane

Last Name: McSpouse

This way, when labels are printed, they read, "Robert McExample & Jane McSpouse".

This doesn't seem right to me.  I would hope/assume there is a better way of doing this.  One way it fails is on contact lookups, it appears as "McSpouse, Robert" which is incorrect and confusing.

We do need to keep them, I believe, in the same contact because our "projects" are tied to the household.  I'd be interested in hearing how others tackle this problem.  I'm guessing there is a "Spouse" field that can get populated and then we would have to figure out how to create labels that use both fields when necessary.

Thanks.

Copper Super Contributor

Re: Managing Spouse Contact with Different Last Names

why dont you use the Spouse field?, then alter you lable to include contact First Name - Last Name - "&" - Spouse Name

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
Platinum Elite Contributor

I've had a client with a very similar problem. There's no way to directly resolve the problem in the ACT! program. The standard default database does provide a spouse field but that is a simple field with no way to accommodate a spouse with a different last name. The solution for my client was the use the existing spouse field for the spouse first name and then we added a separate field for the spouse last name. In use, the contact name was used for the main contact name. No gimmicks, just the one persons first and last name. The spouse's first name (if there was one) went in the spouse field and the spouse's last name (if different) went in the spouse last name field. I used VB script programming in the label template to print the contact name if there was no spouse, the contact first name and the spouse first name with the contact last name (for example John and Mary Smith), and both name is the last names were different (for example John Jones and Mary Smith). I even provided overrides so either the contact name or the spouse name was printed on the label.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks - I will bring this up as a possible solution.  In this case, would you put both the first and last name in the spouse field?  I see the next response has a possible, but more complex solution...

Thanks for the thorough response - I'll forward this to the people in charge of implementing the program.  Are there resources for VB scripting designed for people who are not programmers?

Platinum Elite Contributor

The VB scripting is the standard VB scripting. The trick is integrating the VB script program snippets into the the report template structure.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129