Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Managed User

Managed User

Last week I deleted a User from my data base. Monday morning when I opened my data base all the fields are gray and I cannot make any changes. I've read some previous post related  to this issue but cannot find a solution. When I hover over the admin. (the one I deleted ) the role is now a browse.  Can anyone help me??

Thank you 

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Managed User

Hello Mikmouse,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Do you have any other user names with admin authority with which to sign into the database?

Do you have a backup of the database created prior to making the change to the user?
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg:

Thank you for responding

I think I have a back up. I save the data base in a folder. When I click on the file a window comes up with a title of Unpack and Remote Database. The answer to your other question is, yes I have another admin.

Look forward to your assistance.

John

John,
You can sign into the database with the other admin user name and then go to Tools > Manage Users to change the original user name back to admin.

The file you have saved: since it comes up with the Unpack and Restore message - that means it is a Remote database. Completing the unpack and restore will overwrite the data that has been updated/added since it was originally unpacked.

That being said, do you synchronize this database with a main database? You may need to get the admin to sign onto the main database and change the role for your user name, then sync to get it updated on the remote.
Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Greg:
Read your message. I don't know the password of the other user. As a matter of fact, it was a tech person from ACT who made himself a user. I was having issues with sync after I originally purchased the upgrade. He made himself a user at that time and fix the sync option.
John

Hi Greg:

Ignore my earlier message. I am the only user. Roger, the ACT tech I mentioned in my last message made himself an admin while fixing my sync issue. When I deleted him from the Manager User field all my troubles started. Don't I have to add Roger back?? If so, how would I do that.

Second thought, could I just delete the current data base and restore it with the one I have in my ACT folder??

Thanks

John

Since this is a synchronizing remote database, have you synchronized since the user problems began?  You'll want to see if you can still sign into the main database with your original username and make sure it is still admin level.  If it is, you can create a new remote database to unpack on your computer.

You can use the file saved on your computer to restore (unpack/restore) the database (will overwrite existing one), but if the database has been in use for some time, it will not contain the updates you have entered since the original unpack/restore.

Please see your Private Notes.

Greg Martin
Sage

I cannot make changes on the main database either. I've been unable to since the issue began. If I understand you correctly, I will delete my current database and then restore the one I have in my ACT folder. Let me know before I proceed.
Thanks,
John

John, did you happen to check your Private Notes?

Instead of deleting the original database, I would recommend moving the existing database files to a new location, renaming them (add 'old' to the front) and open them with the ADF.  This way you will still have that data available as a reference (or exporting).

Here is an article with instructions for moving a database: KB Article 23392

Once the original database has been moved, you can then unpack/restore the file. 

I haven't tested this, but the potential problem is that the main database may update the new database and remove your admin level again.  It may be that, once you restore the file > you'll need to do a backup (File > Backup > Database) and then restore that file on the host computer to become your new main database.  Then create a new remote to sync. 

Note: The backup/restore process (not unpack and restore) will remove all of the sync connection information - allowing the newly restored database to become the new main database.

Greg Martin
Sage