Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Manage Users

Nickel Contributor

Manage Users

ACT 2011 - Setting up a wireless sync service for a handheld device and tried to change the password in Tools / Manage Users / Edit User Information. The setting will not "stick" and keeps going back to some old password. Is there a way Sage can "back door" this and tell me what that old password is? And I wonder why the cahnge won't stick?

Bronze Contributor

Re: Manage Users

Generally this may mean that your database is damaged. You could try and detach the database and reattach or else you might need to get databases services to look at your database.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Nickel Contributor

Re: Manage Users

I chatted with Sage support and they took over my machine. They had the same experience. I asked them to leave the password blank. (Under Tools / Manage Users / Edit User Information.) When clicking on "Reset Password" and leaving the password fieds blank, closing out the window and then coming back to the same window there are 8 asteriks in the fields. The support person on chat told me that this is a security feature built in to ACT to confuse any would be hackers. I'm not sure if I buy this because when I changed it to a five digit password, and went back, there were 8 digits again. I gave up on trying to install Companion Link as their support didn't seem to have an answer. And went back to using Handheld Contact. (I was trying to change over to an Android phoe but HHC doesn't support those, only Blackberry and iPhone. So I went back to a Blackberry also.) My ACT database is working fine and the sync with HHC is working fine.