Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Making the same Notes and History appear in both contacts and opportunities

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Making the same Notes and History appear in both contacts and opportunities

Is there and easy way to make same "Notes" and "History" information appear in both the Opportunity and Contact notes and history tabs.

So far I have tried to "Associate". with out success.

Does anybody have any ideas? 

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by gmartin (Platinum Super Contributor)
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor

Re: Making the same Notes and History appear in both contacts and opportunities

"Involved with another user post he found a bug where in Schedule Activity window is open in the upper right corner "Option" drop-down dialog selected if "Create separte activity for each contact" had a check mark."

JM - That fixed it - Thanks! 

Michael Johnson
First Plan
ACT Certified Consultant
ACT Premiere Trainer
503-221-2020
www.firstplan.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Super Contributor

Which version of Act! are you running?

In 2010, I went into an Opportunity > selected History tab > New History > added a contact name (Contact field on History screen) > added data > clicked OK.  The History item shows up in the Opportunity and in the Contact's History tab.  I had the same results using the Notes tab.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

The behavior of Activities and History on an Opportunity is very strange.  I would say broken.

If I create an activity from the contact, I can manually associate the activity with an Opportunity and it will appear on both records.

However, when I create the activity from the Opportunity, it seems to automatically associate the activity with the opportunity contact.  But when I save the activity, it shows up only on the contact activity tab, not on the opportunity.  When I open the activity record from the contact record, I can see that the association with the opportunity has been lost.  I must manually re-associate the activity to the opportunity.  If I do this the activity will show up on both the contact and the opportunity.

If I clear the activity, the history shows up on the contact history tab.  On the opportunity, it shows up on the activities tab as cleared, not on the history tab. The history is not editable on the opportunity.

Any comments from ACT on this?

Michael Johnson
First Plan
ACT Certified Consultant
ACT Premiere Trainer
503-221-2020
www.firstplan.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

The issue you are both describing sounds like a reported issue in 2010. This issue has been addressed in the latest update to ACT! 2010. Please see the following Knowledgebase article for information on ACT! 2010 SP 1 Hot Fix 1:

How to Download and Apply ACT! by Sage 2010 SP1

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I'm running Hotfix 4 now.  Is SP1 / HF 1 newer?
Michael Johnson
First Plan
ACT Certified Consultant
ACT Premiere Trainer
503-221-2020
www.firstplan.com
Platinum Elite Contributor

Yes, it is. It was just released on 3/5.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

I just applied the SP1 / HF1.  Checked and re-inexed, deleted all old opportunities, etc.  Activities scheduled on an Opportunity still lose their Opp association. 

Mike

Michael Johnson
First Plan
ACT Certified Consultant
ACT Premiere Trainer
503-221-2020
www.firstplan.com
JM
Nickel Contributor

FYI, even the latest SP-1 has issues.

1. If you right click on activity (call, meeting, to-do) in Contact Activities Tab and select erase it will not disappear until you select another Tab and go back to tab. Ver. Hotfix-4 it was not a problem.

2. Opportunity Detail that has an Activity that was created from the Contact Activity Tab works, but if you create an Activity from Oppt. Detail you will not see it in the Contact record activity unless you switch between Tabs since the Refreash dos not help.

3. If you create an Opportunity for Contact Record it will not get recorded or show up in the Contact History Tab, Also what will not show up in History is if you make a change to the Oppt. Record Details field(s).

4. If you delete in Contact detail Oppt. Tab the Oppt. and go to Oppt. List view it is still there so you will need to right click and delete it there as well.

There is a plus in SP-1 when you select the list of Oppt records to create contact list view of them that now works. 

JM

Copper Contributor

When I schedule an activity on the opportunity, it shows up only on the contact, not on the opportunity itself.  I can open the activity from the contact and see there is no link to the opportunity. 

This is a big problem clients who moved to 2010 for its better opportunity management capabilities.  Any word on when this will be fixed?

Michael Johnson
First Plan
ACT Certified Consultant
ACT Premiere Trainer
503-221-2020
www.firstplan.com
JM
Nickel Contributor

firstplan,

After applying SP-1 help about should show 12.1.181.0 Hot Fix 1. It seems like you still have the ACT 2010 Premium bug?

Since I saw the SP-1 fix for the bug I have to assume something with install is not right.

If you have another PC you can test on it using the demo DB.

When cleaning up make sure you Oppt. List view has everything selected to make sure all Opp. records are showing and settng the Options Column view to show Contact and Company fields of the contact records you need to remove (delete) those Oppt. records with no associations.  Even if you removed them form Contact Detial Oppt. Tab there are still in the Oppt. List view that need to be deleted.

Involved with another user post he found a bug where in Schedule Activity window is open in the upper right corner "Option" drop-down dialog selected if "Create separte activity for each contact" had a check mark.

A. I wonder if ACT and or SP does not get installed correctly having an Antivirus and or Firewall on?

B. Make sure you downloaded the right SP-1 not the one for Premium for Web verison.

C. Sometimes past ACT issues required me to re-install after backing up DB and Personal files, uninstall ACT, reboot PC and reinstall ACT than SP (Hot Fix) while Antivirus & Firewalls (even Windows Defender if that's on) are turned off.

AT the least you should see the new Activity (Call,meeting, to-do) in the Oppt. Detail Activity Tab view, if you created the schedule from Oppt. Detail.  When you create Activity schedule make sure the box area under Association with Contacts, Groups and Companies tree shows at least the contact and or Company Contact record name(s) that got there when you created a new Oppt. for the contact record.

JM