Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Making activities subreport-field size more manageable

Making activities subreport-field size more manageable

After 4 months of using Act! 11 (2009), my Activities  report for each week is getting ridiculously long because the 'Regarding & Details' field shows all historical activity in a very narrow column.  IS THERE A WAY to either a) truncate this field to, say, 2" so only a portion of the history shows, or b) have the field print out across the page instead of such a narrow column (I know, it's a column, it should print that way, but some genius may have a thought)?

Thanks.

Silver Contributor

Re: Making activities subreport-field size more manageable

This can easily be done in Crystal reports
Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Platinum Elite Contributor

The standard report uses a combined Result/Details field. you can delete that field and repalse it with just the results field and then place the details field on a separate line which will allow you to make that field the full width of the page.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thanks, Roy; I've tried to do what you said, and can get the report to show historical information, but the problem is the currently-scheduled activity, which is always shown at the top of the Activities report--I'd like to show it as the Activities report does, then the page-wide list of cleared items.

We are taught to enter the results of an activity in details before it is cleared, so there's a continuous list of activities related to that contact our bosses can see and read--not sure if that's effecting the report.

Really, all I'm trying to do is get rid of the 'Grow YES' property for my activity reports, but it appears that the subreport resets it to YES.  I can limit the size of the field, but as long as that subreport's present, it'll grow to pages long.

Also, even though I choose span across pages, if the detail/history is long, it will leave the area below the header (Type/Date/Time/Duration, etc.) blank--sometimes most of a page, and put the details on the next page.  That looks crazy on the report, and was one of the things I'm trying to solve for.

Any further help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Chuck

I will start with one of my statements about reports that you need ot keep in mind: Most report generators, the ACT! reports included have no relationship to a word processing program like Word. You need to think of a report generator as a programming language that extracts data from the database and formats it for printout.

That said, trying to visualize exactly what you want the report to do that it's not doing is difficult without viewing what's happening with the report. I think the report could be made better but it involves a range of options and it's difficult to know exactly what will work with out doing some experimenting. As to the very long details that run off the bottom of the page, there isn't any absolute fix for that. Once a field like the details starts to print, there isn't any way to get it to break to a new page in the middle of the field. It does sense the space needed before starting to print the field and if there isn't room on the present page, it breaks to a new page before printing.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Okay, I'll have to live with the expanses of white, not a huge deal.  So you've brought me close to resolution--my 'from-scratch' report can print the details, and where the old subreport puts the newest scheduled activity by itself and lists the others beneath (I know that 'cause I've been putting new activities at the bottom of the details field, but the latest always shows up at the top of each contact record, then the oldest history item).  So I'll swap & put the newest activities at the top & that should work.

Only thing left is how not to show records that don't have an activity within that date range--I printed out a 70+ page report with all 550 records and many had no activity shown for the date range.  How do I get it to show only those with activity in that range, please?  Thanks to you, I'm almost there, and I promise I'll stop bugging you.

C

Look for the Hide On Empty Subreport property in the properties panel for the section where your subreport is located. Set the property to Yes.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129