Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Making a report with notes or details.

Making a report with notes or details.

Hello,

I work in commercial real estate.  We have a database of possible investors and then they are grouped by the properties they are interested in.  We need to be able to make a note in someone's contact and have it associated with the group "Oak Lake Apartments" and then be able to print a report.  The report needs to have every contact in the group "Oak Lake Apartments" their name, company, phone number, and then also all the notes associated with that group.  We have been able to do one or the other but not both.  We have tried absolutely everything and nothing seems to work the same way twice.  Please someone help.  We have spent a ridiculous amount of hours just to get a simple report with notes included.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Making a report with notes or details.

In the first place the report you described, if I understand what you want to do, isn't a simple report but a moderately complex report. It would need to be a group based report with at least two subreports and might require a prior lookup to get the information you want. Because of the way the data is sourced for reports, the notes that you get would be all the notes for each contact rather than only the notes specifically connected to the group.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hello Roy,

If this report is possible, I would love to know how to create it (even if complex).  What I don't understand is why you are able to "associate" a specific contact's note with a group, if you are then unable to report those notes with the group?  To reiterate....we would like to be able to make a note under a "John Smith" and associate that note with the property group "Oak Lake Apartments" and print a report with John Smith's name, company, phone number, and that specific note associated with "Oak Lake Apartments".  We will take whatever steps necessary to make this happen if possible.  Thank you.   

Platinum Elite Contributor

With the ACT! report editor the data sourcing for the reports uses a fixed data source statement in the report template code. For whatever reason the field that specifies the association for a history or note is not included in the data source statement for groups and companies. This means there isn't any way to filter the notes or history with the ACT! report editor in a group report for only those notes and history that only are associated with that group or company. I have hopes that a future version of the ACT! program will provide and open data source capability for the ACT! reports.

The best option right now for what you want to do would be to use Crystal Reports. Crystal Reports uses the ACT! OLEDB provider to access the ACT! database. That gives access to all fields in the database for all tables except the activities table. There is also an addon viewer for ACT! called the Crystal Clear Provider that allows you to run a Crystal report for ACT! without having Crystal Reports installed. The Crystal Clear Provider also provides access to the activity table. If you don't have or want to invest in Crystal Reports, you could have the report built for you then all you would need to use the report would be the Crystal Clear provider which is a fairly low cost addon.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129