Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Making a field mandatory in 2012 Act Pro

M3V

Making a field mandatory in 2012 Act Pro

Can anyone help me......I bought Act Pro 2012 in August and I am trying to make a field mandatory.  In other words, you can't update or leave the record unless this is filled in.  I have been banging my head against the wall with "Define Fields" etc but no luck.  Any advice?  Thank you very much!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Making a field mandatory in 2012 Act Pro

Hello M3V,
Welcome to the ACT! Community. You're in the right place with define fields. To make a field required, double-click the field to edit it, then uncheck the box for "Allow blank". With this setting, anytime a user tries to exit or save a contact and this field is empty, they will an warning, and red symbol will appear next to the field(s) that require data.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

M3V

Wow thanks so much for the very quick reply!  I did try doing that and when I am scrolling through multiple records it does not stop and warn before leaving.  I understand that it will require a value when the new record is created, but I actually wanted it to be more restrictive than that.  I have salespeople who don't stop and take the time to fill in the "ID/Status" field and this is really useful info to have....customer....hot prospect....cold lead, etc.  Am I still missing something?  Again, thank you very much!

Is the ID/Status field blank? It will not require them to update the field, just to ensure there is data in it.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

M3V

Hi again Greig.  Yes I did a lookup with lots of contacts and the field "ID/Status" is blank in most of them and I can scroll through all of them with no issues.  See screenshot below.  Thanks again!Screenshot

[ Edited ]

I did some testing and found that the required field criteria does not take immediate effect on existing contact records. You actually have to enter and remove (or just remove) data from the required field before the warning comes up. This is not an issue with new contacts. I have reported this issue to our development team for investigation.

Greig Hollister

M3V

Hmmmm not what I was hoping to hear but good to know.  At least it will keep them from ignoring it for new contacts.  We have thousands of contacts with no status and I was hoping to be able to force the salespeople to update it whenever they looked at it or made a history note, etc.  Again though, thanks so much for the help and the quick replies.  I have been a user of Act since the Act!2000 version and love it and am still learning.  Smiley Happy

Ross

Highlighted
Bronze Elite Contributor

A problem with having a mandatory field force data entry other than on creation of a record or change is the impracticality in everyday use. People become frustrated and will enter any information just to get them past a record. There are also considerations under data import that would effect the database operation.

Ideally people should be trained in the correct use of the database rather than compliance imposed mechanically by strict data entry requirements. Perhaps if it is a sales situation where the record manager is also the salesperson that you provide them with a lookup of all records for which they are record manager but are needing completion. Looking up a field by Record Manager + ID/Status = Does Not Contain Data is simple enough.     

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

M3V

Understood.  Thank you for the advice.