Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Making Changes to a Field

Accepted Solution Solved
Skilled Commentator
Accepted Solution

Making Changes to a Field

What I want: The Client Type field in Act4Advisors is limited to 25 characters in lenght. I want to increase it to at least double that.

When I click Tools > Define Fields > "Client Type" > Edit field, I hit Next twice, and then I see the value "25" under the "Field lenght" field. When I attempt to change it, it gives me the following message: 

"Changes to the field length may result in the loss of data and cannot be undone. If the contact field lenght is less than the company field lenght, the following field settings will be rest: Link to Company Field and Link to ontact Field. Do you want to continue?"

Question: What does this mean, and what are the risks invovled if I make this change? 

screenshot.png

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author davidvkimball
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Super Contributor

Re: Making Changes to a Field

I haven't changed the size of a field often enough lately to have memorized the screens but it should show if there was a link and if it doesn't show anything then it's probably just a warning to let you know if you shorten a field it might cause data loss.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Silver Super Contributor

It means that the Client Type field is linked to a field on the Company table.  You would want to increase both fields to 50, etc. because if you only changed one you would lose the extra characters when it copied the field over to the other.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Skilled Commentator

Oh, I see.

But I don't think there is a "Company" version. If it was linked, wouldn't it appear in the screenshot below (notice how the "Link to company field" is blank)?

screenshot.png

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com
 Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn
Solution
Accepted by topic author davidvkimball
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Silver Super Contributor

I haven't changed the size of a field often enough lately to have memorized the screens but it should show if there was a link and if it doesn't show anything then it's probably just a warning to let you know if you shorten a field it might cause data loss.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Skilled Commentator

Thank you, this issue is resolved. 

David Kimball
 davidvkimball.com