Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Make user emails private

Tuned Listener

Make user emails private

I am an administrator using ACT! by Sage Premium 2009

We have several; users set up with ACT. I have set up Act/Outlook so all sent and received emails are logged in history. Is there a way I can stop email histories attaching to users history that come from another user or can I at least make those emails hidden where only the sender or receiver of the emails van view them.  I know that I could remove their email address from their record, but I need that in there for other purposes. However when a manager sends an email to one of their associates regarding performance, time off, etc, the other users should not be able to see those if they look at that managers history.   I have tried setting them all to private, but that is greyed out and I cannot change them from public to private.  I am at a loss to know what to do.   Would love to get some help or suggestions about this.   What about the Select User setting - would something like that work for what I need?  Thanks!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Make user emails private

There isn't an option within ACT! 2009 to stop the internal/user emails from recording - an option was added to ACT! 2011 and later versions to address this.

As you noted, you cannot make a user record Private and removing the email address would stop the emails from being recorded but may not be a workable solution.

Possible alternatives:
1. You could create a contact record for each of the users which would contain their respective email address, then make those records Private (either to you or to themselves). Then you would remove the email address from the 'My Record' records. So, the emails will be recorded to the Private records, but not be available to all users.

2. Do the same as #1, except instead of making them Private - create Teams and use 'Limited Access' to restrict access to the new user/contact records to just you and the particular user. This way both you and the user will be able to see the record. If made Private, only the owner of the record can see it.

These may not be ideal, but may help you come up with a working solution.
Greg Martin
Sage
Platinum Elite Contributor

Tuned Listener

That makes sense and I think it will work.  In the meantime though, I think I broke something trying to make this work.   I think (not sure) that I must have set my own company to private or limited access somehow and blocked even myself from viewing it.  When I try to click on my own company name, I get a message that says "You cannot access and view this company. The company may be inaccessible to you, may no longer be linked to the contact, or may have been deleted.  To gain access and view it, contact the administrator." 

I am set up as an administrator, so I'm not sure how to change the settings on my company.  Can anyone offer suggestions?  Thank you!

Bronze Super Contributor

Were you logging in as different users?

It's not clear to me how you could make a company private to yourself...

Did you add the company to a team?

Tuned Listener

I wish I knew - LOL but I can't open the company to figure it out.  I might have added it to a team or I might have limited access to administrator and one person.  

Silver Super Contributor

If you are an administrator you can see records that have limited access set but you can't see private records.  I suspect the company record is private and you aren't the record manager of the company record.  Depending on how many users you have in your database you could just log in as them one at a time until you see the company record and then remove the private flag.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Tuned Listener

I suspect you are right about that.  I was not the administrator when this company was set up and probably therefore not the record manager.  We really don't have that many people so I should be able to easily do this.  I will just need to have them send me their passwords and then I will get started.  Thanks!

Silver Super Contributor

Yep.  It will let you set a record to private that you aren't the record manager on and then it will "disappear".  You aren't the first person to have this happen to them although I hadn't heard of someone making a company private and then getting an error clicking on it.  You learn something new every day.  That's why I read these posts :-).

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!