Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Make global changes to multiple records

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Make global changes to multiple records

Is there a way to change information in multiple records, e.g., a group in ACT!2010? I could do it in my old version of ACT! (very old), but I haven't figured it out in ACT!2010.

Thank you.

Danny G

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author 1dannyg2
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

Re: Make global changes to multiple records

You'll find those options on the Edit menu, Replace Field, Swap Field & Copy Field.

Recommendation?  Always backup your database before you make these changes, and note the count of contacts before you make your change to ensure ACT! hasn't taken you back to ALL Contacts.

Can you tell that I've learned this lesson the hard way?

Signature

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author 1dannyg2
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Contributor

You'll find those options on the Edit menu, Replace Field, Swap Field & Copy Field.

Recommendation?  Always backup your database before you make these changes, and note the count of contacts before you make your change to ensure ACT! hasn't taken you back to ALL Contacts.

Can you tell that I've learned this lesson the hard way?

Signature
Copper Contributor

Kevin, I really appreciate your suggestion, but I don't see how the features referenced, Replace Field, Swap Field & Copy Field, would accomplish what I desire. Maybe I am misinterpreting the functions.

I have several records that I entered without having a mailing address for the contacts. I now have the address and instead of entering it for each of the records, I'd like to enter it one time with global results for the group the contacts are in. I don't desire to Replace, Swap or Copy a field for the entire database. Am I misunderstanding the function of those commands?

Thanks again.

Regards,

Dan

Bronze Contributor

Dan, those Edit functions will operate on the current lookup, so if you've looked performed a lookup in some way that results in 5 records found, that's the Current Lookup, and then when you choose one of those options from the Edit menu, it will perform the change on all 5 records.  Be careful, if you've looked up all contacts and you perform one of those tasks, it will change EVERY record in the database.

It won't change the entire address in one pass - you'll have to change Address 1, then the City, then the State, and so on.

Signature
Copper Contributor

Got it!! Thank you so much.

Regards.

Dan

Copper Contributor

Kevin, quick follow up: I did a test in an alternate db and it worked just fine.

Thank you again for your help. I'll click on the Accept as Solution tab for this.

Regards,

Dan