06-12-2009 08:50 PM
Been ripping my hair out try to figure these out, and of course, Support isn't available until Monday, so any help is appreciated. We have ACT! 11.0 installed in our 4-workstation office and have just started to use it. I have about 50,000 Contact Records. Here are the two main issues:
1. If I do a Lookup for All Contacts and double-click on one of them to view it…it DELETES the Contact! I’ve tried this from all workstations and the server, same problem. A few of us have remote databases...no problems there.
2. Probably related to #1 above: Let’s say I do a search for Last Name of Smith and it pulls up 50 records, all different. I double-click one to view it….let’s say it’s Bob Smith. If I then scroll forward using the forward arrow next to the number of contacts in the upper right, Bob Smith’s name gets attached to the next contact, and then the next, and so on. The rest of the Contact records like email and address are unchanged, but Bob Smith becomes the name attached to EVERY ONE of the records that I scroll through.
Needless to say, this is VERY frustrating and has us dead in the water…no way we can work like this.
Any help is appreciated.
06-12-2009 11:36 PM
1. How do you know that the record is deleted? Does the record counter reduce by one? Is there a record of your having deleted a record in the My Record
History tab? [The My Record is the record that you see when you logon to the database.]
2. Are you logged on as an Administrator?
3. The 50,000 records in your database. How did they get there, from import or upgrading a prior version of ACT!?
4. Open the ACT! demo database is the behavior in the demo database the same as in your production database?
5. Is it ACT! 11.0 or ACT! 11.0 Premium?
06-13-2009 12:34 AM
Thanks for your willingness to help.
Ok, you were right...the total # of users doesn't change. What's happening is that the Contact name is being removed as soon as I open it. I opened a contact with an email address and when I then went to search by email, I found it but with the name removed. What's happening is that when I open the contact, the record that actually opens is the one in front of it in the list. It's almost as if I open it and as soon as the system removes the name, then it takes me to the closest match, which is the one before it in the list.
What happens a few times is that I see my own Contact file record flash for a second, and then the software it reassigning it to my name. I had my name in there as one contact, now it's there 5 times with addresses and phone numbers of Contacts that I thought were deleted...they were just assigned to another version of my Contact record.
Yes, this happens with the demo database as well. What's different in the demo database (and perhaps this is a clue) is that it's assigning the contact to a different Company, but the rest stays the same. And it's always the last company I opened. If I open a Contact from Boomer's Artworx, and then open up 5-6 more Contacts from different companies, they all now get assigned to Boomer's Artwork as their Company. 99% of the Contacts in my database do NOT have a Company Name assigned to them.
I'm using ACT Standard, with Hotfix applied on some but not others.
Most contacts came from Outlook or imported through Tab Delimited file.
I am logged in as an Administrator.
06-13-2009 12:55 AM
1. What is the Sort order of the records? You can find that in the Edit menu. The default is Company then Contact, if it isn't that set it to that and see if the behviour is the same.
2. When you say you open the Contact in the list, are you working from the Contact List View and if so is Edit Mode checked? If it is then uncheck it. [Find edit Mode just above column headers in Contact List View]
3. In the demo database you say " it's assigning the contact to a different Company, but the rest stays the same". Are you working with Contact records only or Company records as well? Do you mean that the Company field in the Contact record changes NOT that the Contact is being assigned to a Company record.
4. When you imported data was it to Contact or Company records?
5. When you imported data what were the fields that consistently had data in them. For example Company, Contact and Phone?
6. When you imported data was the data clean of any control or hidden characters?
7. When you say data came from Outlook was it imported using ACT!'s facility direct from Outlook or was it first exported from Outlookto Excel?
06-13-2009 07:43 AM
1. Sort Order is Company then Contact.
2.I am working from Conact List view and yes, Edit Mode is unchecked.
3. In the demo database, I'm doing the same searches as my main database. Pretty much all the contacts in the demo database are associated with a company. What I mean is that when I'm looking at a Contact that I opened, I see the Company Name and Contact Name below it. If I scroll forward, the next Contact will appear, but the Company Name of the previous Contact stays in that Company Name Field. If I do that 10 times, say, now all of those Contacts are assigned to that Company. Example: I have 2 Contacts assigned to ABC Industries, 3 assigned to Apple Computers, and 4 assigned Bee Enterprises. If I open the first contact and then scroll forward 10 times, I now have 10 contacts who are all assigned to ABC Industries...it's as if the record moved forward when I hit Forward, but whatever was in the Company Name field did not.
4. Data was imported to Contacts...keep in mind that is happening with the demo database also, where no data was imported.
5. All but 1% of my Contacts do NOT have Company names assigned to them...they are health care practitioners with no company name. Again, also happening in the non-imported demo database.
6. No control or hidden characters that I know of.
7. Brought directly into ACT from Outlook. A number of conatcts were also brought in from a Tab Delimted file.
Here's more info that may help:
A. The day before this happened, we applied a cutomized script runtime manager...we added a new field to track hours that our clients use of support time. HOWEVER....this was applied earlier in the day and the ACT trainer was able to work with the records with no problems similar to this.
B. We added ACT to one additioanal computer in the office. I saw some SQL errors when I was trying to install it but it seemed to skip over these and that user is able to access the database with no problems. I turned off that user's computer when I was troubleshooting to see if that may be the culprit but the problems persist.
06-13-2009 12:41 PM
I removed the custom script that had been installed and the problem vanished. So, obviously, the script is the culprit. I'll work with the folks who created the script to correct the problem.
Thanks for all your help...should have guessed that the most recent item installed was probably the problem.
06-13-2009 03:30 PM