Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Maintaining contacts for an annual event

Maintaining contacts for an annual event

Any advice is appreciated -

I have an office currently using Outlook for maintaining contacts.   Each contact in outlook has 1 or more outlook categories assigned to it.  The office has an annual event. Every year, there are some new contacts to be invited, and some that fall off the list.  Every year, we get 4 different excel spreadsheets to manually add/update in Outlook, totalling about 3000 manual updates.  How can Act! help smooth this process for us?  I would like to associate each contact with their existing category, but also add them to an "Event2009" category this year, "Event2010" next year, etc.

The end goal would be to export all the contacts for Event2009 to a txt file to send to our Invitation printing company. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Maintaining contacts for an annual event

ACT! and Outlook have very different ways of handling contact management, ACT! being the true contact manager. And yes, you can definately do what you are asking within ACT!. Is your office looking to switch from using Outlook to ACT! for contact management? What do you use ACT! for presently?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Maintaining contacts for an annual event

Yes, we are looking into moving about 5000 contacts from outlook to ACT.  We have about 5 events every year that we need to mail out invitations for.  Every year, there are some people that are new to the invite list, and some that fall off the invite list, but we have a hard time managing that.  If someone is to be invited to more than one event, we put each event in their categories, separated by a semicolon: Event1;Event2.  We just started creating annual categories, like Event012009, so that we can see who we invited each year.  It's going to get cumbersome soon. 

I am trying to figure out if I could instead use a combo of ACT ID/Status and Groups to manage this.  For example, if personA is in Outlook category Event1 and is to be invited to the 2009 event, then maybe in ACT, I can have Event1 be a ID/Status.  Then, we would have a Group called Event12009, and add all contacts with ID=Event1 to Event12009. 

Not sure if that made sense!