Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail merge w Eudora Vista Gmail

Mail merge w Eudora Vista Gmail

Incredible frustration trying to use Act! with Gmail, Vista, and no Outlook. Finally installed and got Eudora to work for individual messages. When trying a Mail merge using the wizard, it briefly displays the progress bar, then the progress bar disappears with no mail action or messages.

Any help would be appreciated or am I just asking too much?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mail merge w Eudora Vista Gmail

Mike,

Thanks for responding.

My understanding from surfing the forum is that Gmail will not work with the Internet Mail setup.  I am using Act! 2010 and Eudora 7.1.

Walt

GLComputing wrote:

Maybe try Internet Mail?

What version of ACT!?

What version of Eudora?

Nickel Elite Contributor

To see how to use GMail via Outlook (which you may not want to, but there may be something there you could use on Eudora) - see these instructions.

There is also a simple addon to send individual messages via GMail.

However, for mail merges, I'd look at MailMerge by Northwoods.  Hope this helps...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com

RE: ACT 2010 and Outlood 2010

I have been with ACT almost since it was created. I originally was using Maximizer and switch over probably 12 years ago? I have be through every glitch and bug. But I learned it early and can do anything with it. Build databases, mail merge, anything. I have loved it and changed many of the companies I have worked with over to it. Needless to say I have loved ACT. I even wanted to be an ACT consultate. Well, I just purchased ACT 2010 only to find out that it does not work with Office 2010, can you believe it. It can't use Word as the default word processor, It can't use Outlook as it's email program, doesn't use Skype without an add on and on and on it goes. Am I crazy or is ACT becoming totally irrelvant as a contact manager. The word processor in ACT is substandard and the email client is worthless. You can't even set up gmail in it. If fact it is the same client that has been in ACT since I can remember. Hello, does anyone at ACT here me. Or should I say SAGE!!!. It was much better when Symantec owned it. I can't believe this is happening to my favorite program. Does anyone hear me. Oh yes, I guess they do. What is the answer to all these problems with ACT 2010? An update to take care of these issues. No, They want to sell me yet another new and upgraded version. They say they will fix all these problems with that. Hey, are you a Microsoft Preferred Vendor? Who fell asleep at the wheel and didn't check to see if ACT 2010 would work with MS Office 2010. Some head should roll over this. Your customers shouldn't have to bare the burden of buying another expensive  upgrade. For what? More poor product development. How about linking to other email programs like, Eudora or Firefoxes Thunderbird. Both very nice programs. Didn't Eudora use to work with ACT. Why not use Word Perfect or Google docs word processor. I would hurry if I were you because ACT is becomming very irrelevent. Can you you say, "Salesforce.com".

Re: RE: ACT 2010 and Outlood 2010

It was no different when Symantec owned it.... well, actually, in may ways it was much worse.

You asked "who didn't check to see if ACT! 2010 would work with Office 2010?" ... did you mean 8 months before Office 2010 was available?

The fact is that even Microsoft's own CRM products are not able to connect to Office 2010 and many of their other products can only partially do it.

Eudora was available for many years, but hardly anyone used it. Certainly not enough to warrant the R&D. Same with WordPerfect. I don't think Google DOCs have the necessary API.

Open Office would be a good idea... again, if there were enough users in the ACT! market that wanted it.

My 2c
Bronze Contributor

Microsoft CRM 4.0, first released in December 2007, fully supports Office 2010 in 32-bit mode.

For Microsoft CRM Online Edition, the Outlook integration is 4.4.9230.19 and was released in November 2009,

For Microsoft CRM On Premise and Service Provider/Partner Hosted/Internet Facing, support came in 4.00.7333.2747, released in June 2010.

I don't believe CRM support for Office 2010 in 64-bit mode is a high priority for Microsoft - by their own admission, 64-bit mode will play to a niche market (my words).  Here is an informal discussion from Microsoft on the merits of 32- vs 64-bit Office 2010

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2010/02/23/understanding-64-bit-office.aspx

As to Google Email, ACT! would be able to connect if the antiquated ACT! Email client was updated to include Port selection, SSL & TLS encryption selection and Option IMAP capability.  But since it's a 7-year old email client and no one in Prod Eng'g can decipher the code anymore, it's a goner.  Everything at Sage requires a Cost Benefit Analysis.  Google, for example, still derives 90+% of their revenue through adwords.  That's enough to dabble in a whole range of cool projects.  Sage, on the other hand, is an accounting software company, run by accountants. Enough said.

Signature

Interesting...  MS need to update their knowledge base:

Microsoft Office 2010 is still in beta and is not officially supported. Issues can be logged by the Microsoft Dynamics CRM Support team. However,the hotfix to resolve the issues may not be available until Microsoft Office 2010 releases. Office 2010 64-bit versions will not be supported in Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0.

I agree with you on office 2010. I have had this experience try to use there own products. I don't me to be critical but can't you guys at least get a better email client. I sent up Thunderbird recently and it is a real slick program. All I had to do was put in my many email addresses and password for each and it set them up for me automatically. Don't get me wrong ACT is a great program. I keep going back to it because I have used it so long I can create my own databases and add fields on the fly. This is what I really like about it. But that email client is ancient. Plus try to include more features in the program. Like skype calling or using microsoft fax for faxing. We buy Act but have to be driven into bankruptcy trying to buy all the addons that we need to make it work how we like. I have be looking at Maximizer lately and I like what they are doing. Everything is great in ACT though just bring the backend up a little. Update  some of them old features that have been around a few years.

Thank,

Rick