Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail merge template with graphics and text boxes

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Mail merge template with graphics and text boxes

I am using Act 2009 and am having a problem with a template I have created.  The background of the template is a picture and the text and merge fields are all in text boxes.  When I merge, it goes to a Word 2007 file.

When I try to merge, the merge fields remain unchanged.  Instead of the name of the company, the document shows <Company>, etc. 

Is what I am trying to do even possible?  If so, what am I doing wrong?

I can use the template as a Word merge document, and merge with an Access database, but it would be so much more convenient if I could use Act as the data source.

Thanks!

Christy

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author caotis
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Mail merge template with graphics and text boxes

You know, I got hung up on the part about the graphic, and missed the text box thing.

You are correct.

Here is what the Sage knowledge base says about this:

All mail merge fields need to be accessible to ACT!. If they are located within a text box in Word, they are not accessible to ACT!; ACT! will not be able to merge to them. Creating a table in the template instead of a text box may allow you to create bordered text areas within Word templates for ACT!. After creating a table using the Table menu in Word, place the insertion point within a cell, then Insert the required field from the Mail Merge Fields dialog box.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

How did you create the template?  Did you create it from the 'New Letter/Email Template' item from the Write menu?

Do other template works as they should?

Yes - I created the template from the "New Letter/Email Template" form the Write menu.

Other templates do work as they should which leads me to believe that it doesn't like the merge fields to be inside of text boxes. 

Solution
Accepted by topic author caotis
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Super Contributor

You know, I got hung up on the part about the graphic, and missed the text box thing.

You are correct.

Here is what the Sage knowledge base says about this:

All mail merge fields need to be accessible to ACT!. If they are located within a text box in Word, they are not accessible to ACT!; ACT! will not be able to merge to them. Creating a table in the template instead of a text box may allow you to create bordered text areas within Word templates for ACT!. After creating a table using the Table menu in Word, place the insertion point within a cell, then Insert the required field from the Mail Merge Fields dialog box.

Thank you so much for your help.  After reading your post, I played around with my document, and was finally able to get it to work with the use of tables.

Thanks again!

Christy