Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail merge problems

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Mail merge problems

I am trying to send a mail merge in ACT!2008 with outlook 2003. but it keeps crahing. Someone told me that ther is a memory problem. Anyone have any help on this?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ltedstone
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Mail merge problems

There would be no significant difference on the number you were able to send at one time. I would still suggest that you checkout SwiftPage email. The last time I checked there minimum charge was for 1000 emails each day, they provide the connection software free and they provide significant design support and reporting about delivery and response.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

How many contacts are you trying to merge to? Outlook will run out of resources between 50 and 100 concurrent emails.

If looking at more than 50-100 at a time, I recommend you get either MergeMaster or SwiftPage to do this

I am trying to mail about 4000. This is surprising to find out that I cannot use act for the very reason I bought it!! IS there no other way around this.

Also Is ti better to use outlook as the mailer or the act email program?

Thanks again

Lee

Nickel Elite Contributor

ltedstone wrote:

I am trying to mail about 4000. This is surprising to find out that I cannot use act for the very reason I bought it!! IS there no other way around this.

Also Is ti better to use outlook as the mailer or the act email program?

Thanks again

Lee

The first thing you need to be concerned about is that if you send 4000 emails with the same content, your email ISP will likely shut you down for spamming.

To answer your question, there is no other way around it. When you create a mail merge, you are creating individual email messages, in this case 4000. At some point that is going to deplete system resources. The resources will be restored after a period of time. Because each system is different, there isn't any way to specify a set limit. For the volume of emails you are sending, I would suggest that you use SwiftPage email. They charge by the volume of messages sent, they connect to the ACT! database and they provide reporting on the number opened, etc.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Roy

Thaanks for your response. I have cleared with our ISP and they are ok with the mail. It's to existing cutomers so not spam. I can probable break these down into smaller units.

What is your thoughts on using the act mailer or outlook?

Regards

Lee

Solution
Accepted by topic author ltedstone
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

There would be no significant difference on the number you were able to send at one time. I would still suggest that you checkout SwiftPage email. The last time I checked there minimum charge was for 1000 emails each day, they provide the connection software free and they provide significant design support and reporting about delivery and response.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Roy

Thanks again but what I wanted to know was, forgetting about my email numbers, what in your experience is the best mail system to use for mail merges in act, Outlook or the act mailer. E.g. is there any memory issues or compatiblity issues.

Thanks again

Lee

Nickel Elite Contributor

That's mostly a case of personal preference.
Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com