Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail merge only allows .adt extensions and I need to build pics, etc.

Mail merge only allows .adt extensions and I need to build pics, etc.

I want to create a document to run through mail merge to do a broadcast email.  I want to make a sexy email with logos, pics, columns, etc.

When I do this and run the mail merge, it does not let me select anything other than a file with a ".adt" extension.  I don't want it to be an attachment, so I am stuck!

HELP!!!

Employee

Re: Mail merge only allows .adt extensions and I need to build pics, etc.

Hello Steve,

Mail merges work by merging Act data into templates created in either the Act word processor or with MS Word. Word templates use the .adt extension and the AWP uses .tpl. These are the only types of templates available from within the application, you can edit them by choosing Write -> Edit Template. To change from AWP to MS Word, you need to change your default word processor in Tools -> Preferences.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

I use Word.  I made a document with a logo and text, etc. and actually  pulled up an old template (.adt extension), cleared it out and pasted in the new document.  Doing the merge, etc. it all looks OK, but when the emails go out, the logo comes up with a little "x" and no logo.  I tested mailing the piece with one email address to another and pasting it in the body of the email and it worked fine.

I need to send out "pretty emails, even to the point of them looking like a newsletter which I could make a pdf, but I don't want it received as an attachment.

Any ideas???

Nickel Super Contributor

When you create a template from within ACT!, it uses Microsoft Word (if you chose that for your word processor).  That gives you the full capability to create a Word template that can contain graphics, formatting, pictures, etc. -- everything you can do in Word because you are using Word to create the template.  It is much easier to start with ACT! than to try and cut and paste.  Then when you send the email, everything is in the email itself - no attachments.   Try that or give your ACT! Certified Consultant a call and one of us can help you get started.  Brenda

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)