Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge

Copper Contributor

Mail Merge

I have a client that has been running into problems with Mail Merge.

When the template is created everything appears fine, but when the email is sent out, a significant number of recipients are seeing unusual symbols in the email, in place of quote marks (“) or consecutive spaces.

The symbol I have seen it replaced with is �, This symbol is known as the Unicode Replacement Glyph often used to replace unknown characters, characters that the program cannot render.

I can’t imagine that the font they are using should be causing any problems as they are using Arial for the emails.

Any assistance you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Alex Cook
Database Partners
1300 791 327
http://www.databasepartners.com.au
Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Mail Merge

Alex,

Can you provide some further information:

- What version of ACT!?

- What is e-mail client?  (Using ACT! e-mail or Outlook)

- Which word processor for templates? (MS Word or ACT! Word Processor)

- Does this happen with all templates, or just with one?

Your post says "significant number of recipients" - I take this to mean that some contacts are receiving the e-mail without the symbols.  This would indicate that the symbols are being added at the recipients end.

Does your client have an email address that receives the symbols, that they can test with? 

To test:

- Send a supplied template?  Are symbols inserted on recipients end?

- Create a new, very basic template, with typed text (not copy/paste) and test it.

- If other templates are successful, it may require manually recreating the template that displays symbols.  If copy/paste was used, it may have introduced unseen characters/controls.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Hi Greg,

They are running:

- ACT 2011 Pro HF5

- Outlook (emails from both Office 2003 and 2007 are seeing the problem)

- MS Word (again, 2003 and 2007)

- This has happened with all templates so far

You are correct, this is not occuring for all recipients, I understand that it is most likely added on the recipients end, though I have never seen this occur in emails before. The symbol in question is added when the font used does not have that particular character, but it is happening on quote marks and consecutive spaces. Given that they are using a very common font, Arial, I don't understand why it is having this problem.

The text has been written from scratch in MS Word and saved in ADT format, as they are purpose written for that one mail-out.

I have seen the characters on my Android Tablet, though the client has had recipients email them about seeing them in Outlook.

Thank you for your help so far, any further assistance is also greatly appreciated.

Alex Cook
Database Partners
1300 791 327
http://www.databasepartners.com.au
Platinum Super Contributor

Try sending the same template from outside of their normal environment/network?  For example: install ACT! 2011 on one of your computers and restore a backup of their database so that you can test from your system.  Add some of your contacts you can test with and see if any of them receive the symbols - if they don't, that would narrow the issue down to the clients environment or ISP.

Of the recipients that reported the symbols, is there any pattern such as: hotmail or google email addresses?

Greg Martin
Sage