Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge with either missing firstname or just the 'Initial' of the firstname

Skilled Commentator

Mail Merge with either missing firstname or just the 'Initial' of the firstname

Hi

I'm stumped on this one:

Lets say I have the following contacts in the left hand side column, I'd like a mailmerge with the righthand columns output.

Is such a 'thing' possible within act!

Bill Smith                                       Dear Bill

Mr John Brown                               Dear John

Mr K. White                                   Dear Mr. White

Mrs. Black                                     Dear Mrs. Balck

Copper Contributor

Re: Mail Merge with either missing firstname or just the 'Initial' of the firstname

Greetings,

I am not entirely sure of what you are trying to ask. It may have something to do with salutation preferences. (Tools>preferences>salutation preferences)

If you create a lookup you can use the update salutation field option under tools, and this will change the salutation preferences to what ever you like.

Hope this helps.

Skilled Commentator

Re: Mail Merge with either missing firstname or just the 'Initial' of the firstname

Hi

If a firstname exists, then I would like to have 'Dear Bill', but if no firstname exists, it then merges to Dear Mr. Smith.

So - some conditional intelligence based on the firstname existing or not.

Hope that helps

Regards

Copper Contributor

Greetings,

The options you seek are under salutation preferences. I don't think there is a way for ACT to do the actions you are wanting to accomplish though. The merge is dependant on what data you have in the salutation field.