Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge with Office 365

Copper Super Contributor

Mail Merge with Office 365

I cannot use Act mail merge via Outlook in Office 365.  (It works fine with earlier versions of Outlook.)  Worse than that, Act causes that program not only to abnormally terminate immediately upon the draft folder being opened, but to do so whether or not Act is active.  I can fix it by deleting the Profile (itself no easy task, given that it terminates as soon as the draft portfolio is accessed) but even with the new profile the problem comes back abnormal termination and all as soon as I again attempt a Mail Merge.  Running Outlook in Safe Mode makes no difference.

What can.I do about this?

MacWilder

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mail Merge with Office 365

What version of the ACT! program are you using?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Copper Super Contributor

v. 16 Hot fix 4

I ran into a similar problem on my notebook.  The configuration I use is ACT!V16 with Office2013 (Office 365) on a Win8.1 system.

When I try to mail merge an email the following occurs:

- 1st time: An attempt is made to merge the email and template, but the email never shows up, ACT goes back to normal as if nothing happened.  This effect seems to be caused by Word.  (If the first attempted task after starting ACT is editing a template, ACT behaves similarly - as if nothing happened.  But thereafter creating an email from template works already at the first attempt instead of second.) 

- 2nd attempt: Email is properly created using the template with addressee information correctly showing up in the email (e.g. email address and <salutation>).  This can be repeated with other contacts, works fine.

- Email/template merge does not work if the template contains any references to the user of the database, e.g. <MY: Salutation>.  The first time, ACT tries to create/merge the email but returns this error message: "Could not open the item. Try again."  When I click OK and try again, the merge process takes much longer to "finish" with the  same error message showing up.

With other words, whenever Word is invoked by ACT for the first time, it does not seem to work; it appears like Word only gets started.  Thereafter, editing templates and mail merge work (as long as mail merge does not involve references to my user record).  Is it the same in your case?  Can you export to Excel or edit templates using Word?

BTW, the same templates with user references work on my office computer with Win7, same ACT version but both Office 2010 and 2013 installed on that machine. 

Regards,

Karlheinz

Copper Super Contributor

It was better with the new version of Act (16), although other problems emerged making mailmerge unreliable. It's really bad that Sage and now Swiftpage can't produce a product that works on standard setups.

Unfortunately I have to agree with your last sentence.  A nickel for everytime Outlook froze when trying to communicate with ACT and I'd be rich.  :-( 

Have a nice weekend,

Karlheinz

Astute Commentator

Has this issue been resolved?  I am having to maintain two data bases.. One on a windows 7 system and Act Prem 2010 v12 so I can communite with my customers and my new system with 8.1 and office 2013/365 because the computer is so much faster.  I am so disappointed in the new Act.

I called tech support and they can not help.  They said that this software and opperating system will not work together.  

Are they working on it?

Upgrade to ACT! 16.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

I have Act 16 windows 8.1 and windows 2013/365.  I also have Act 2010 windows 7 and office 2010.  The old system works fine the new system does not.  Are you saying that you have the mail merge working with Act 16, in windows 8.1 and Office 365?  Tech support could not get it to work.  

In fact, after two to ten emails (one at a time) Act 16 crashes…  

ACT does not work with Office 365 Home or Business edition.  ACT does work with Microsoft Office 2013 (the download or disk). Which version do you have?

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129