Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge error

Accepted Solution Solved
Astute Commentator
Accepted Solution

Mail Merge error

I am currently trying to carry out a mail merge in ACT!, using 273 contacts' details. However, when the program has finished loading the details to create the merge, the following message appears: "The mail merge could not be completed. Please reduce the number of selected contact and try again." I find this confusing, as in the past month I have completed mail merges using 600 and 800 contacts' details. I wonder if anyone could help?

Thanks

Kirsty Taylor

Marketing Assistant

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kirstyandjim
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mail Merge error

In real estate it's location, location, location, for the type of issue you're having the answer is resources, resources, resources. Windows starts with various resources available. Operations preformed use up resources. Over time Windows will recover depleted resources but it does take time. The quick method to restore a full set of resources is to reboot the computer. Bu it's nature, the ACT! mail merge uses significant resources and the larger the mail merge, the more resources used. (Back in the Windows 98 days, tech support recommended mail merges of 100 or less and I've seen it fail even then.) The later versions of Windows manages resources better than Windows 98 but a large mail merge still pushes the limites.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies

Astute Commentator

ACT! by Sage 2010 Version 12.0.409.0

Our email client is Microsoft Outlook, but the mail merge isn't to be emailed, just printed and posted.

Can you try a reboot, then try again... you might be running out of resources.

If possible, I'd also update to 12.1 ... but this would need to be also done all all systems sharing the database if you have multiple users.
Solution
Accepted by topic author kirstyandjim
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

In real estate it's location, location, location, for the type of issue you're having the answer is resources, resources, resources. Windows starts with various resources available. Operations preformed use up resources. Over time Windows will recover depleted resources but it does take time. The quick method to restore a full set of resources is to reboot the computer. Bu it's nature, the ACT! mail merge uses significant resources and the larger the mail merge, the more resources used. (Back in the Windows 98 days, tech support recommended mail merges of 100 or less and I've seen it fail even then.) The later versions of Windows manages resources better than Windows 98 but a large mail merge still pushes the limites.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Astute Commentator

Thank you. It does look like our issue is resources, as the reboot and upgrade to 12.1 didn't solve the problem. I'll get on to IT about it.