Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge Failure

Mail Merge Failure

[ Edited ]

I saw a few other threads but none were closely related to the issue one of my clients is having--

First off, I have never worked with ACT before, I've heard the name but never actually saw it until now. I don't know what version the user is using, I don't have a copy of it to troubleshoot myself, so I am at the mercy of any suggestions I could relay other than what I have already tried. We are running Exchange 2003 and the only thing that has changed from when it was "working" to now was the client OS / configuration.

My client is attempting to merge about 7,800 records and fails after about 1,100 records with the error:

String cannot be of zero length. Parameter name: oldValue

Things I've already suggested:

• Run a repair on the ACT! suite
  • Run a repair on the ACT! database / create a copy and try from the new copy
  • Switch between using Outlook and ACT! for mail
  • Use Word as the default word processor

Nothing has seemed to fix the issue. I am assuming the database is fine, about four others can connect to it just fine. She just noticed this after another tech put a new baseline image on it to fix some other issues she was having.

Message Edited by newit on 07-03-2008 07:29 AM
Copper Super Contributor

Re: Mail Merge Failure

A major red flag here is the "new baseline image" on her workstation; mirroring, imaging, ghosting procedures do not play well with SQL.

A troubleshooting step, can anyone else run the merge?

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

I appreciate the quick response; others are able to run the merge.
Copper Super Contributor

I would just assume the new image on her machine caused SQL and ACT to fail. Personally I wouldn't bother troubleshooting it, use the ACT uninstaller from Sages web site (not add remove programs from Windows) and remove the program along with (Important) the option to remove the ACT instance of SQL.

Then reinstall and you should be good to go. 

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

You are suggesting that you uninstall using something on the web.  Where do I find that unistall program on the web

THanks

Bronze Elite Contributor

Aside from any imaging issues, fundamentally the problem is with the size of the merge. How can you manage a merge of 7,800 records? Presumably you are not expecting any replies or any bounce backs or out of office replies. ACT! is not designed to manage a merge of this scale. Better to avoid merging through Outlook and use a dedicated mail merging software, using smtp services and integrated with ACT! to record history and manage the send process and responses.    

Graeme Leo
Xact Software - consultants and developers
Follow us on Twitter and check out our Blog

Copper Super Contributor

Search for the ACTUninstaler in the knowledge base under your version of ACT at www.act.com, make sure you follow the directions and check the option to remove the ACT instance of SQL.
Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA

Here is a direct link to the knowledgebase article.

How to Use the ACT! Uninstaller.exe file

Thanks for the response.  In my mail merge I am only trying to merge 80-100 contacts.  Is that to many?  If so can you give me some insite onto when I find this add on oyu are talking about?
Copper Super Contributor

Too much is really a relative term depending on your mail server and workstation processing capabilities, then there are the requirements for managing bounce backs and opt-outs.

Swiftpage.com does a nice job of processing bulk email campaigns and it nicely integrates into ACT. 

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA