Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mail Merge Act! 2016 data with Word 2013 Full Install, Windows 8.1 ALL MOST RECENT updates installed on each

Copper Contributor

Mail Merge Act! 2016 data with Word 2013 Full Install, Windows 8.1 ALL MOST RECENT updates installed on each

Is there a plan to make these two programs more compatible?

Re: Mail Merge Act! 2016 data with Word 2013 Full Install, Windows 8.1 ALL MOST RECENT updates installed on each

Act v16 is already compatible with Word 2013 Full Install with Windows 8.1 with all the most recent updates installed on each. Can you elaborate on what kind of issues you've been experiencing?

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com
Copper Contributor

Re: Mail Merge Act! 2016 data with Word 2013 Full Install, Windows 8.1 ALL MOST RECENT updates installed on each

Here's the issue that is most irritating:  After rebooting, if Word 2013 is loaded first and then Act! 16 is loaded, when a mail merge is attempted from within Act!, I get the following error:

Unable to cast COM object of type 'Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word.ApplicationClass' to interface type "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Word._Application'. This operation failed because the QueryInterface call on the COM component for the interface with IID '{00020970-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}' failed due to the following error: The RPC server is unavailable. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706BA).

When Act! is loaded first, then Word, the error doesn't occur (sounds like the doctor joke, "Hey doc, it hurts when I do this" and doc says "don't do that"). Instead, you have to run the mail merge in Act twice to get the output from the merge operation to be visible on a Word document. The first time is a blank document. Okay, this looks like success, but if you close Word 2013 and do not keep the document created by the merge operation visible, i.e., if you close Word 2016 completely, and then attempt to do a mail merge from Act! again, invoking a new instance of Word 2013, you get the same error.

I've gone back and reinstalled Word 2010 and do not get the error, so I know it is possible to do the merge with Word 2010, but the error keeps coming up under the circumstances described above using Word 2013.

Thanks for your help.

Ed

Platinum Elite Contributor

This is usually a corruption in Office ... Try doing a Repair:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-au/project-help/repair-office-programs-HA010357402.aspx

If still an issue, disable UAC and try registering ole32.dll.
1. Go to your Start menu and select Run
2. Type "regsvr32 ole32.dll" (without quotes) and click Ok
3. You should receive the following message: DllRegisterServer in ole32.dll succeeded
Copper Contributor

Hi Mike and thank you for your reply and helpful tips. I followed them and the error persists. I've decided to just set it up to use Word 2010 rather than to use Word 2013, I believe there may be a timing issue because of a slow internet connection interfering with the quick opening of Word 2013. That issue is not present with Word 2010. Otherwise, I suspect the tips you provided would have worked.

Many thanks!

ed

Copper Contributor

I have a client with similar issue to this.  A new install of ACT! Pro 16.0.291.0 on a Win8 notebook with Office 2013. When trying to mail-merge to email, ACT! hangs when "Merging records". Task Manager shows that Word is running in the background. Need to use TM to end the program (Word) to get control of ACT! again. If then close ACT!, am asked if I want to Save changes (i.e. the word doc). If say yes, get the error mentioned in the post above. So it looks like Word is partially opening, but just can't complete the process.  I have Repaired Office, UAC is turned off, have regitered the OLE, Word macro security is at it's lowest level.

NB: I did think it might be b/c the user had a click-to-run version of 365 installed, so I uninstalled that & installed one of my own Office 2013 licences, which works fine on my Win7 notebook.

Copper Elite Contributor

It might be worth checking your normal.dot / normal.dotm file as well, this can cause problems with templates if it is corrupt.

Cheers

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried deleting the Normal.dot/m files a couple of times, with no success. There is also the NormalEmail.dotm file. Could that be the problem?

Copper Contributor

Progress of sorts...Up until now, ACT! has been “hanging” at the merging records stage, with Word running in background (visible via Task Manager) but not loading fully. 

I turned-off the McAfee firewall & disabled a Word addin called AcercloudWord.  The mail-merge then worked fine for about ½ dozen tests (even after turning the McAfee Firewall on again) so I went to show it to the client & blow me down, it wouldn’t work any more! 

But now ACT! doesn’t hang when merging records.  That message just flashes on the screen & then nothing happens at all. 

Does any of that make sense to you?

Copper Super Contributor

Having two machines with the same specs and behavior and hours trying to resolve it I broke down and made the dreaded 2 hour call to SP Support, here is the two part fix:

Run Your Office 2013 and ACT 16.X applications as administrator

Follow this KB article from the SP knowledge base, to modify load behavior for office.

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36939/kw/36939

B

Brad Marquardt
realtimeACT, Inc
Colorado, USA