Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Macro to capture field values

Nickel Contributor

Macro to capture field values

I am using a macro to try to capture a field value, but it looks like ACT! has blocked my ability to do this.

The macro control feature can capture a lot of different fields on different databases, but it seems ACT! wants to corner the market when it comes to me retrieving my own data.

Luckily OLE DB works and I can manipulate data, but I need to capture the contact name WHEN THE CONTACT NAME changes.  If the field changes, I want a macro to capture the field value and paste it to the clipboard and run a certain macro.

And no, the field trigger feature ACT! provides really doesn't whet my appetite and seriously stinks.  If ACT ALLOWED THEIR FIELD TRIGGERS TO "TRIGGER" THE VERY SECOND THE FIELD CHANGES, I'd be alright.  BUT NO,  the mouse has to be moved OUT of the field to have the trigger fire.

-P
Nickel Contributor

Re: Macro to capture field values

The prior post actually is divided into two parts.

One- using a control to capture a value and doing something with that value
Two - ACT! field triggers to instantaneously trigger another application.

Neither one can be done with ACT!

With the text field control capture, I want to have the ability to capture the value in that text field and create alarms outside of ACT! when ACT! is closed. I can do it with the macro if i could capture the value.

With the ACT! field triggers, I would love to be able to do different things with it especially with a dropdown list.  If I choose a value from the dropdown, then it triggers a program specific to what I chose.  In other words,  if the dropdown has 5 different choices, then I would love to have the opportunity to triggers 5 different options. 

A sub-request to ACT!'s trigger mechanism is to have the action done right away "INSTANTLY" rather than having to move my mouse out of that field.

Dream Dream Dream...

-P