Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MSSQLACT7 Browser Service

MSSQLACT7 Browser Service

Hello

I have just recenlty purchased Sage Act! 2013 Pro, but sadly I am having major issues with the install. I have narrowed this down to the SQL Express stuff as the Browser Service will not start, when I try it just starts then stops? I have gone througn all the Sage and MS KB articles re-installing, installing, configuring to no avail.

The PC is a Dell Optiplex 520 4Gb Ram P4 Duel core 2.80 CPU running a 32-bit Win 7 Pro. Although this is on a network it is currently used logged in as a local admin.

There is nothing really being generated in the event logs to point me in the right direction but I still cannot open or create databases hence cannot use sage act Smiley Sad Actdiag also reports it cannot connect to the SQL server but the SQL instance is configured as per the KBs

Any help on this would be greatly appricated as I need to crack on with other Business and Client projects.

Thanks

Graham Hilton

Managing Director

Rivertech Ltd

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: MSSQLACT7 Browser Service

Hello Rivertechltd,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

The main service is 'SQL Server (ACT7)', the 'Browser' service isn't actually necessary for opening/creating a database - its primary function is for sharing a database. 

Try running the following file (double click on it): C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows\SecurityCmdLnApp.exe

This will reset the connection between Sage ACT! and SQL.  Then attempt to open the demo database.

You may also need to add exceptions to your firewall/anit-virus software: KB Article 25125

Additionally, you may need to reboot the computer into Selective Startup to reduce conflicts: KB Article 14173

Ensure the SQL (ACT7) and Protexis services are started after rebooting into Selective Startup.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: MSSQLACT7 Browser Service

Hi Graham

Did you receive an sort of error message when you tried to install ACT & SQL for the first time?  If you did receive an error while installing the software, what was it?

It sounds as though SQL hasn't installed properly though.

Check Gregs suggestions first, but I think you may need to reinstall ACT and SQL.

I'd suggest uninstalling SQL and ACT.  You may wish to use the ACT Uninstaller tool to make sure everything has been removed.

You need to install SQL manually, if there is an issue installing SQL then doing it this way will give you a more detailed error message to troubleshoot.  This article explains how you go about installing SQL manually: SQL 2008 ACT7 Instance

The installation files for SQL are generally under the dependencies folder when you browse your act media (instead of autoplay).  You will require the x32 bit folder installer.

If you don't feel confident in trying these steps then please reach out to an ACC in your area that will be able to help you.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au