Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MSSQL 2008 r2

Copper Contributor

MSSQL 2008 r2

I have a client who wishes to install its own copy of MSSQL 2008 r2, and also wants to install ACT! 2013 pro on the same machine. Are there any problems manually adding the ACT7 instance to their separate instance of  MSSQL 2008 r2  -  or letting ACT! 2013 pro install its own instance as usual?

Sharon Gillie
ACT! Certfied Consultant
ACT! Premier Trainer
Burlington, Ontario Canada
Silver Contributor

Re: MSSQL 2008 r2

I believe that Pro will only work with SQL express, not sql standard.

ACT should co exist just fine with other applications running SQL.

With Premium, you can create an ACT7 instance within SQL but you could not share the instance with other applications

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Copper Contributor

Thanks John.  So just to be clear, if ACT Pro is installed along with SQL Express, does that mean that SQL Standard can run alongside it?

Sharon Gillie
ACT! Certfied Consultant
ACT! Premier Trainer
Bronze Super Contributor

Correct. ACT! Pro will only use SQL Express.

You can have SQL Standard along side a SQL Express instance, just not of the same name.

For example:

You can have a SQL STD instance of XYZ and a SQL EXP instance of ACT7 on the same machine.

But you cannot have SQL STD instnance of ACT7 and a SQL EXP instance of ACT7 on the same machine.

In fact, you can even mix versions of SQL, so you can have MS SQL 2005 STD and MS SQL 2008 R2 Express on the same machine (and lots of ogher combos as well). This can make it more tricky when you want to uninstall an ACT7 instance (i.e. failed install) but that's thankfully happening far less often than it did Smiley Happy.

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the reply Ben, it's very helpful.

Sharon Gillie
ACT! Certfied Consultant
ACT! Premier Trainer