Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MS Updates vs Act (.net problem)

MS Updates vs Act (.net problem)

Last month MS updates to the .net framework caused Act to fail. After talking to Act support, they helped me resolve the problem, however, they also advised me to turn off XP automatic updates until this problem has been resolved.

My Question:  has this issue been resolved, either by MS or Sage, so that I can turn on automatic updates once again?

Also, I see XP SP3 has been released.. does anyone know if there are any conflicts with SP3 and Act 2007 (Version 9)?

I rely heavily on Act for my business, and just cannot afford to be down again for any length of time.

Thanks!

Tuned Listener

Re: MS Updates vs Act (.net problem)

Hi,

The issue has not yet been resolved by either parties.

However you might want to set up your automatic updates to:

'Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them'.

Go to 'Start -> Control Panel -> Automatic Updates' to do this

That way you can get windows to ignore the update 'Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1', but continue with other updates.

regards,

Cesc

Platinum Elite Contributor

I'd really like to hear something from Sage on these... are they (.Net 2.0 sp1 or XP sp3) MS issues or something Sage can do for 10.03?

Especially as both of these don't happen to every user, it makes me think there is a resolution somehow?

Copper Contributor

I have spent a lot of hours with our clients in the last couple of weeks uninstalling .net 2.0 sp1. I'm wondering when will ACT have a fix for this. This is a huge pain to deal with.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Actually, i believe that it's Microsoft that will need to have a fix for it...

In fact ACT! isn't the only application that suffers from these, as QuickBooks has issues too, as would any other .NET application.

The reason some work and some don't is due to the order in which the udpates may have been applied. If you had a virgin XP install, updated to ALL availbale updates, THEN installed ACT!, you wouldn't have an issue (most likely), but if you installed ACT!, then applied post updates, you could be victim depending on the order of the install and what else was installed into .Net at the time.

The MS reference item is Microsoft KB 928365 / Bug 196380 - http://support.microsoft.com/KB/928365

Copper Contributor

Here is a MS KB article on disabling this update using a registry entry.

You may find it useful when dealing with client / staff machines.

Cheers

Shane

Copper Contributor

Thanks so much Mike and Shane! That helps a lot.