Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MS SQL 2005 Express wont install

Tuned Listener

MS SQL 2005 Express wont install

Question:  When installing ACT 2010 Standard, MS SQL 2005 Express installs itself and related components.  As part of it's installation routine, MS SQL needs a file called "MSXML6_x86" but does not write this file to it's temporary directory on the C drive and, as a result, cannot complete it's installation.  Does anyone know the fix?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: MS SQL 2005 Express wont install

Hello McGetts,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. In regards to your issue, I have some questions:

- What operating system are you installing to?

- Is it 32-bit or 64-bit?

- If you look in your programs list via the Control Panel, do you see MSXML 6.0 Parser installed?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

Hi Greig.  Thank you for your reply.  I have 32bit, XP(SP3). I did have MSXML6 Parser (no service paks) in add/remove programs but used the MS Uninstall Utility to remove it.  Interestingly, the MSXML_x86 file is not in the temp directory that MS SQL uses when installing (and errors when it attempts to find and execute this file).  The 64 bit version of this file (MSXML_x64) is in-fact in that temp directory.  Many thanks again for your input.
Tuned Listener

UPDATE:  After using the MS Uninstall Utility to remove the MSXML 6 Parser, MS SQL 2005 Express installed perfectlySmiley Happy

Fatal problems ACT 2010 and SQL 2005

I used ACT personally for a long time, then with a major corporation for the past six years.  I changed to another company that would allow me to install on company Windows 7 laptop.  While installing, about the time I saw an SQL message in a "dos looking like" screen, the system crashed and I rebooted.  As I returned to the desktop, it crashed, repeat, etc. and wouldn't let me come in.  My tech support folks had to put in a new hard drive and tried installing the ACT and experienced the same problem.  I can't risk my company laptop for days out like this, and the challenges your software is presenting scare me from putting this on my personal laptop where I don't have the tech support folks.

I see where there seems to be a LOT of challenges around this.  Have you come up with a fix within the software to avoid future problems or are others continuing?  I'm now having to weigh seriously the thought of a bad investment and looking for another plan for my database management.......maybe this is the reason the major corporation I was with had a much older version of ACT.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Fatal problems ACT 2010 and SQL 2005

Hello Marshall,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community!

With the varying and customized computers on which the ACT! program is installed, we have seen this issue on rare occassion and it is generally determined to be an environmental issue (ex: Microsoft updates not applied, anti-virus software blocking, etc..).  Since this is a Windows 7 operating system, I doubt that it would be an issue with Microsoft updates not being applied.

As you noticed, this issue is occuring with the installation of the Microsoft SQL program.  To help determine the issue (should it arise), you can install the SQL program independent of the ACT! program.  Following is an article with instructions for installing SQL Server 2005 and creating the ACT7 instance, this completely removes the ACT! installation from the installation of SQL.  Once SQL has been installed, the ACT! program can be installed.

Manually install SQL Server 2005 Express and create ACT7 instance: KB Article 19386

Greg Martin
Sage