Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

MS Business Contact Manager messed up my ACT

MS Business Contact Manager messed up my ACT

I tried an install of Microsoft's Business Contact Manager, just to see what it looked like.  It tried to install SQL Lite, but the installation failed.  Later, I could not get ACT to start.

I get the splash screen (2007, 9.0) and then a long wait.  A message comes up:  "The database could not be accessed...check network connection and verify that your database server is available."

Any thoughts on what I should do would be appreciated.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: MS Business Contact Manager messed up my ACT

[ Edited ]

It sounds like the install of the SQL instance of BCM may have damaged ACT's instance of SQL.  I would first check your local services to make sure the ACT7 instance of SQL is running:

- Close ACT and Outlook

- Go to Start/Run and type services.msc

- When your list if local services comes up, locate SQL Server (ACT7)

- If status is not "Started" then right-click on it and select Start

- Also find SQL Server (MSSMLBIZ) service and stop it if running

- If the ACT! instance fails to start, then you will need to uninstall and reinstall ACT and SQL

You can do this per the following Knowledgebase article:

How to Manually Remove the ACT7 Instance

ACT! can be removed using Add/Remove Programs from your control panel.

Note: In the section of the article where you are removing instance names from Microsoft SQL Server registry key and the Control Set keys, you will also want to remove the MSSMLBIZ instances as well as the ACT7 instances (they should be grouped together).

Message Edited by ghollister on 10-28-2008 06:02 PM

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: MS Business Contact Manager messed up my ACT

I followed your instructions.

Both services were running.

I stopped (MSSLBIZ) service and I was able to open the database in the normal fashion.

Thank you for your help and solution.