02-03-2012 01:51 PM
Here is a weird one. I recently updated a contact and the next day when I went to access the record, it was gone. I figured I may have deleted by accident. So I opened a backup, exported it to the active data base – still not there. So I created a new db, exported the single record to it and then tried to import it - still won't come.
Additionally, the contact is in outlook but when I sync it still won’t appear in the db. It is like it is in there but “lost”.
02-03-2012 02:49 PM
Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.