Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lost data, but excellent system backups

Lost data, but excellent system backups

[ Edited ]

Hi there. I am new to this community because I have a problem with lost data that I can't seem to resolve.

Today, my customer started to have issues attaching to the database. I managed to resolve that, but then, all of a sudden, I noticed that all the users, except the original one were missing. Also, there were many records that were gone.

The customer never did backups from within ACT!, however, when I originally set them up, I did very through system-wide server backups (all files, SQL, ect.), so tonight I tried using them, but with no success...the data is still missing.

I restored the ADF/ALF and the database files folder. I also stopped the SQL instance, and restored the MSSQL.1 directory, then restarted the SQL service. The data is still not there.

What files/databases exactly do I have to restore if I am not restoring from within the ACT! program itself?

Thank you greatly for your help.

P.S. They are using v 12.0.409

Nickel Contributor

Re: Lost data, but excellent system backups

The files you need are the ADF and ALF which are the SQL files, I would open up ACDIAG to see if the database is listed against the ACT7 instance of SQL. if they the database is not listed then you need to open ACT!  and then  Click the File menu, and then click Open Database. click the drop-down for Files of type to change this option to ACT! Database (*.ADF).Browse to the location of the ADF file associated with the database, click the file to highlight, and then click Open. The database will be verified and attached to SQL. 

I would also delete of renam the PAD file before doing the above.

You can also check to see if the ADF and ALF are OK by trying to attach then via SQL Server Management Studio in another instance of SQL to see if there are any problems with the files.

If you get it sorted I would set up an ACT! backup via the  the ACT! scheduler for any future problems

Hope this helps

As my original post mentioned, I did restore them, which is why I am so confused.

Nickel Contributor

Have you checked that the database is in the ACTDIAG list of databases? just dropping the files in the SQL folder does not mean that the database is attached to SQL or potentially the database could be in recovery or suspect mode

It is there.

I now have an additional idea: It seems that one of the users was deleted, and with it, the contacts they created.

Is there any way to restore a user by restoring at a SQL level? What exacty would I need to restore?

Again, thank you all.

Platinum Elite Contributor

From your original post I assumed that users were deleted and their data wasn't reassigned. When a user is deleted and their data not reassigned every record where they are listed as the record manager is also deleted. As to recovery, there isn't any, gone is gone. The only recovery would be an older backup from before the user account deletion

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you Roy, that seems to be the case, but that data has to be somewhere. I have loads of backups going back a long way, but they are all at the file level, not done from within ACT! using its backup utility.

So the question is, I have restored older ADF/ALF from before the data loss, but that did not restore the user. This leads me to believe that the users are kept in another location, like within one of the bas SQL databases (master, model, etc), but I have tried restoring even those, but with no success.

Any ideas?

Nickel Contributor

The users are stored in the ACT! SQL database in a table called TBL_USER so if you are restoring the files and the user is not there then you will need to look at older backups

Platinum Elite Contributor

The user identity is stored in one of the many tables in the ADF file. If you want you can examine the tables in the ADF file using the SQL Server Management Studio. However you will find there are about 150 individual tables in the ADF file. My take, I doubt that you will spent a lot of time with little hope of success.

For the future, set up the ACT! scheduler to make the backups using the ACT! backup. Restoring is much easier than using the actual database and supplemental files. The supplemental database files aren't data files but house the layouts, templates, attachments, etc. files

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you all for the information. I will, indeed, use the ACT scheduler for them in the future.