Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lost all Data on all contacts -

Copper Contributor

Lost all Data on all contacts -

Sorry if this is duplicate message - error message at 'post' advised 'authentication failed'

I'd set up ACT! 10.0 / 2008 last year and 'created' new databases for different groups...cumbersome to switch from database to database to see data ('open database/close database), no training for the right way (thought it should be so obvious that, no, I did not utilize User Forum), so mucked  uncomprehending way through while attending to more important office setup. 

Workable database needed, it HAD to be easier than I was making it, reapplied self-LIGHT dawned!  Recently started utilizing/re-naming original ACT!  'Groups' which had nothing in them (cuz I'd created cumbersome individual ones). Created subgroups, added contacts, manually moving data from my old awkward databases into new, correct, groups & created subgroups, adding notes and attachments; worked as it was supposed to! Slick & easy!

...Then all Notes, History, attachments disappeared! - everything!  The old, the newly entered - completely blank. This did not happen immediately, but within a day of entry, all data disappeared (@ program close?). Tried again and put minimal 'Notes' in a few contacts - no 'error' messages; those deleted out, also. Groups and subgroups are intact with their contact fields still retaining info. About 10 times during info transfer process an error window pop up "Act by Sage' title said "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" with big red 'X' and OK as the only option to proceed/close window.   **Note: I utilized ONE of my previously created databass to add all the new info/groups,subgroups. That pre-existing database had just one contact...me, as  administrator.  My 'Notes' data also disappeared along with others' though no alterations or additions made.

Is all deleted data completely gone? Is there any way to retrieve? How do I keep this from happening? Lost cause? I did not have to hit 'Save' icon before, but I tried with and without doing that...it made no diffrerence in data retention. 

Best to completely delete ACT! and reinstall and start with a clean slate????   Thank you,  Jean

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Lost all Data on all contacts -

Hello Jean,

Please provide more info; Is this on XP spk3  or  Vista Home ? other?  Haven't heard of this problem yet?

How many databases? Are you sure you are opening the right one at the right time?

Would sure help to see whats going on before adivsing but here goes.

1 Option;

Backup all your databases if you dont already have backups. If they are not important, then skip backups

Close out of ACT!10

Run / ACTDIAG

left mouse click on Databases

left click on database list

select approp database  and rite lick on it

you will see options such as repair - reindex - rebuild  etc..  try those  like rebuild schema etc..

Do this with each suspect database.

Then see how things work.

================================

You may also benefit from some ACT! how to-s we have posted on our site at http://fillstaff.com/howto.aspx 

Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

Hi,    The operating system is Windows Vista Home Premium - 32 bit - Service Pack 1     2.00GB. 

I will try the steps you listed and will back up the database I've been working in, although it only contains names/addresses/ph#s at present.

Way back - when I first started using ACT! - I started where the closed program 'Act by Sage' was a fully blank screen with options upper left showing only:

File      Help           and

New Database (w/icon)   Open Database (w/icon)

It was through above described access I set up several 'New Database' ....a database for 'Listings'... a separate 'New Database' for sales...another for prospects, etc. Occasionally I would get the error message previously described, but for months everything stuck/all notes/history, was as entered.  One of the 'New Database' setups was 'Office'..contacts were only my boss and myself and notes pertained to office matters...it was the only database on which I utilized the scheduling calendar; (did not use calendars under Listings, Prospects...to schedule)

I'd initially set it up so wrong and made it cumbersome because if I was in 'Prospects' database and needed the 'Office' database I would have to click on File, dropdown to 'open database' so a list of databases would open, then click/choose the one I wanted and then have to wait for it to open.

The problem started when I utilized the existing 'Office' database and started creating Groups within that, renaming them as needed, creating subgroups as needed, choosing the criteria, making the contacts 'dynamic', creating subgroups; then moved data from the OLD into the NEW...and did not back up(!). The calendar has retained all info, but all notes, attachments and group assignments within each contact are gone.  When I click on Groups icon at left of screen the Groups and subgroups created are correct and relevant contact lists can be viewed and accessed..  Even though I did not alter ANY of MY entries as a contact originally in the 'Office' database, all Notes still disappeared  Hope this helps.  I'll let you know what happens here.  Thank you,  Jean

PS...at one point - months ago, I was going to start from scratch/clean up and tried to delete a 'database' which had duplicated (?) when I tried to 'share database'...but it would not delete.

Bronze Contributor

This may be a silly question, but sometimes it helps to ask them.  Make sure on the Histories and Notes tabs you have selected all users and are not filtering the data for something like a custom date or for future only.  That happened to me just the other day.  And I'm supposed to know what I'm doing.  8-)  I had it turned to a specific user only and had it flagged for future.  Durn, hate it when that happens.
Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

It was not a silly idea, but I am so confused!... I checked what you suggested for the Histories tab and Notes tabs..after checking a couple of people I did see that one was for 'today' which I changed to 'all dates' and access was always 'all users'...but as I went through, there was all my data on the respective files!. All the rest of the files were defaulted to 'all dates' and 'all useers'.

Right now I'm tryijng to run ActDiag as Bill Williamss suggested in the first reply to my inquiry, but since I have Vista, of course there has to be a different approach. I have not been able to get the diagnostic to 'run' yet...nor have I even found the option to 'run'. 

He said to close out of ACT!10.... (did he mean completely close the program?)

run / ACTDIAG  (I had to run Search to find it, clicked on it and a box opens and it has Files / Tools / Help...but no 'run' option.  Tools drop down option has  4 options:  "Adjust ACT time out values   /   Delete Preferences /  Release ACT Memory / Collect All ACT related Log Files.

I'm checking through the ACT Diag User's Guide, but it's 40+ pages of tech...can you help me cut to the chase....or since my data is back should I just be grateful and back it all up?

Jean

Bronze Contributor

Ok, good.  Your data is back.  Whew.  Now, here's the thing about ACTDIAG.  When they say close ACT, yes, they mean click on the Red X or on File Exit and get totally out of ACT.

Now, in Vista, they did away with the Run commend - sortof.  On your Vista machine, click on the round button on the left.  This brings up the Start menu.  In the box at the bottom left type in ACTDIAG and hit enter.  That will bring up the program.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Copper Contributor

Hi, again,

I'd already done that - started at Start....typed in ACTDIAG and already brought it up...clicked on it and never saw 'run'....just window scenario described in my previous... I need to know which one of those  4 in dropdown 'Tools' should I utilize?  (neither right nor left click did anything)...my options are as described in my prior.  I'm hesitate to start something I'll regret. 

Thank you,

Jean

Copper Contributor

um...that should have been 'hesitant'...
Nickel Elite Contributor

Sorry I was away for a while. If you still need assist, just let me know.

Cheers - FSB

Bill Williams - Owner/Consultant/Trainer at Fill Staff "ACT! FOR RECRUITERS"
Manage Your ACT! Backups http://fillstaff.com/backupfolderspro.html - FREE
BIG ACT! LAYOUTS for Larger Monitors www.bigactlayouts.com
Protect your Files & Folders with Folder Lock Pro by New Software http://download.cnet.com/Folder-Lock/3000-2092_4-10063343.html
Copper Contributor

Bill,

Starting with your 3/12/09 response...I then replied with my operating data.  I have my data back and all attachments/notes - nothing needed there now, but... 

All I want to do now is run the Act! diagnostic.  see my 3/13 message and subsequent in which I cannot see a 'run' option for the diagnostic, only the options under the window which opens - and which I listed, With my Vista operating system the route you'd described does not work for me to access/run the ActDiag.