Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Lost access to database

Lost access to database

We have ACT 2006 version 8 multi-user. All of a sudden I have lost access to our data base. It's in a shared folder but when I click on it all I get is the test database and no screen to log in. Any suggestions as to what I need to do to regain access. Other users are still able to access this database with no problems.

Thanks so much!

Linda

Re: Lost access to database

I too have lost the data base in my computer. No network, single user. But, I got a new computer and the program was transferred to the new computer. At first it just appeared as if I could not access the data base at all (it appears to be gone) so I tried to reinstall the software thinking the transfer corrupted it. Now I cannot uninstall or reinstall the ACT 2006 software. Maybe if I coul uninstall it and reinstall I wouldn't have the problem but I cannot do either. Any advice?

A

Nickel Contributor

It's a good sign that your able to open a DB. If your simply clicking on the icon to launch, it always opens the last opened db, so once act is open, simply choose file>>open database and browse to your db and open it.

When I try to open our regular database by clicking on open database at the top and then selecting the one that we normally use named "Publicity" all I get is the test data base. I don't get the user/password screen anymore when I open act. I don't seem to have any access to the full program all of a sudden. Could I have lost the path to the database?
Tuned Listener

Do you have acces to both the .PAD and thr .ADF file?  Act will try to open the .PAD file if you use File -> Open on the menu.  Navigate to the folder containing your database files (assuming you can find them) and double-click the .ADF file.  Let me know what happens.
--------------------------
Regards,

Brian Myers
Dataweb USA Inc.
www.datawebusa.com
1-888-Dataweb (328-2932)

I had actually already tried that and I did try it again this morning to make sure but still ACT opens with just the test database and no screen to log in. We even copied the database just in case the file was corrupt but neither .ADF file will open for me.